Lets talk about live ocean rock and why why we so scared bruh?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest opinion? Who's rocking the best rock atm?
I recently ordered from both for my tanks and that is a matter of opinion.

Rock from the gulf had lesser starlet corals along with other stuff. The rock was loaded with life.

Rock from KP had layers on layers of coraline, macro and some curlyque nems. It was also full of life.

Both had clams, numerous types of bivalves, urchins, pistol shrimps and crabs.

No mantis or crazy worms from either.

the difference in the 2 has to be where they mined the rock from. KP is lighter and more porous, while glr is a little more dense. Still porous, but heavier rock.

With that said, fiji rock that I have is mixed. I even have one piece that has geodes/crystals in it lol. That doesn’t worry me, as years ago, that rock was taken from the edge of reefs. Who knows how long it had been there. So not worried about anything leaching. If it would have, it would have done it by now.

But again, how it looks is an option of what look you like. If you want corals, go with rock from the gulf. If you want coraline and macros, go KP. Both have the same critters or chance of the same critters.

Side note: I believe rock in the gulf is from a more stable tide height area (in relation to flow and height). KP may be a little shallower and experience more tidal flow. This could could explain the difference in things that grow on the rock. I know diving 30-50’ in the gulf is a lot different that 30-50’ in the keys. Gulf I use less gas and energy during tide changes. Keys takes a little more gas and energy to hold a spot. Both still better than diving the Atlantic side of Florida for ease of diving lol.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol there's literally a vendor here tossing out Walt smith fiji that claims 3 month old soaked rock is ok to sell do you agree?
I agree that it's ok to sell... I don't agree that he should be throwing out Walt Smith Fiji... If someone can sell dry marco rock, certainly someone can sell 3 month soaked rock and others can sell 25 year soaked rock...

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you're just trolling... But I'll bite... What is your criteria for "best"?
Actually I have a ton of pictures that I base my criteria from.

Please show me at least one?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it's ok to sell... I don't agree that he should be throwing out Walt Smith Fiji... If someone can sell dry marco rock, certainly someone can sell 3 month soaked rock and others can sell 25 year soaked rock...
So are you basing the criteria that you would reccomend a reefer buy 3 month old soaked Walt smith fiji from a vendor here when they could get at least 2 yr soaked from petco?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you basing the criteria that you would reccomend a reefer buy 3 month old soaked Walt smith fiji from a vendor here when they could get at least 2 yr soaked from petco?
real question, are you drunk? because that question doesn't make any sense, and certainly isn't even remotely close to what I said in my post you quoted.

What petco are you shopping at that has 2 year soaked rock? None of mine around here do, it's all CaribSea Life Rock that's been in their tanks for a couple of years... and I barely want fish from their tanks, let alone fake rock...

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's your thread, but "I have quantifiable" definitely sounds like a troll... because there's no way to quantify "best" which is why I asked you for your criteria...
Your trolling my thread brah. I asked for the best live rock you came with quantifiable lol
This isn't dumbfackary for anyone thats actually following this is what it actually is.
A thread about live ocean rock.
Its been made into whats the best somehow.
I'm saying gulf live rock has the best live rock hands down atm

Prove me wrong or step on

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
real question, are you drunk? because that question doesn't make any sense, and certainly isn't even remotely close to what I said in my post you quoted.

What petco are you shopping at that has 2 year soaked rock? None of mine around here do, it's all CaribSea Life Rock that's been in their tanks for a couple of years... and I barely want fish from their tanks, let alone fake rock...
Is that so?
Now your trolling me as far as claiming I'm drunk?

Anyone that knows actually knows that legit wholesalers bringing in Walt smith don't bring it with less than 2 yr soak

Kidding me right now?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your trolling my thread brah. I asked for the best live rock you came with quantifiable lol
I'm not trolling, I am genuinely interested in the topic. But also interested in how YOU define best. Which you have yet to articulate in any meaningful way. It actually seems like you're the one trolling (perhaps you should look up this word because I don't think it means what you think it means).
This isn't dumbfackary for anyone thats actually following this is what it actually is.
A thread about live ocean rock.
Its been made into whats the best somehow.
I'm saying gulf live rock has the best live rock hands down atm

Prove me wrong or step on
I already told you, no one can prove you wrong because you believe it's the best.

Is that so?
Now your trolling me as far as claiming I'm drunk?

Anyone that knows actually knows that legit wholesalers bringing in Walt smith don't bring it with less than 2 yr soak

Kidding me right now?
The Walt Smith rock that Petco (used to sell but has been discontinued) is ReefRock 2.1, which is man-made rock that has never been in the ocean. So no, I'm not kidding you.

Edit: Also, I didn't claim you were drunk, I asked if you were, because 1/2 your sentences don't make any sense, and your reading comprehension seems to be impared. This is not a criticism, you might just be reading too fast and not paying attention to what's actually being said, but it's also how a lot of drunks on the internet talk, which is why I asked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trolling, I am genuinely interested in the topic. But also interested in how YOU define best. Which you have yet to articulate in any meaningful way. It actually seems like you're the one trolling (perhaps you should look up this word because I don't think it means what you think it means).

I already told you, no one can prove you wrong because you believe it's the best.

The Walt Smith rock that Petco (used to sell but has been discontinued) is ReefRock 2.1, which is man-made rock that has never been in the ocean. So no, I'm not kidding you.
What are you afraid of?
Gulf live rock is the greatest of all time? There are a few papers lol
I have too many pictures of gulf live rock in baskets on scales that are completely covered in corals and life lol.
I'm just waiting for you to stop articulating and arguing that fact.
Being super patient I may add because as soon as your done im going to drop some real pictures as I described lol

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: Also, I didn't claim you were drunk, I asked if you were, because 1/2 your sentences don't make any sense, and your reading comprehension seems to be impared. This is not a criticism, you might just be reading too fast and not paying attention to what's actually being said, but it's also how a lot of drunks on the internet talk, which is why I asked.
Lol

Thought it was important to point out-

In case you didn't realize-

You can't edit post I quote you in so it would probably be super wise on your part to say what you mean and mean what you say the first time:)

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol

Thought it was important to point out-

In case you didn't realize-

You can't edit post I quote you in so it would probably be super wise on your part to say what you mean and mean what you say the first time:)
I edited it while you were quoting apparently, and I even put "Edit" to show it was an edit... I have a feeling you're just the kind of person who likes to argue with no substance... so... enjoy your night

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited it while you were quoting apparently, and I even put "Edit" to show it was an edit... I have a feeling you're just the kind of person who likes to argue with no substance... so... enjoy your night
Lol you as well.

On a different note though ive quoted you on a few things now that you tried to edit but can't take back and never will be able to.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Echoes in eternity:)

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Echoes in eternity:)
I think you should go back and read very carefully, and look at all of MY posts... I have only edited 1 post in this conversation. There may be others you've been speaking with who have edited, I however, have not. So... again, I say, enjoy your night. Going to unfollow this thread now...

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should go back and read very carefully, and look at all of MY posts... I have only edited 1 post in this conversation. There may be others you've been speaking with who have edited, I however, have not. So... again, I say, enjoy your night. Going to unfollow this thread now...
I could care less. I have 700 million problems on my plate and your not one;)

Jacaine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my tank with about 100 lbs. We are still finding new things every week. Tank has been set up for 9 months. Hitchhikers have been numerous, from sponges, crabs, starfish, pistol shrimp and many more.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real Fiji, Tonga, and Bali rock was far superior a product... It may have had a little more die-off because of transit times, but the shapes, the colors, the life is pretty much unbeatable...
And since Walt Smith ticked off the King of Tonga we aren't likely to see it again.

The transit times were definitely an issue.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back