Lets talk about live ocean rock and why why we so scared bruh?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol there's literally a vendor here tossing out Walt smith fiji that claims 3 month old soaked rock is ok to sell do you agree?
Stores do this constantly. They can get away with it because no one really talks about live rock, and with the obsession with the neo-sterile tanks nobody wants it. So new people don't even know what they don't know.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally disagree show me some ocean rock please

really man? Minus the Coral frags all of this came from KP. Please explain to me how gulf is any better.
22BA1AB1-4864-4561-AA50-8302F598781C.jpeg
5D6BB325-A97C-4047-93CC-10DF35EF26C6.jpeg
775BCD48-9F82-433D-A693-8145A757EB99.jpeg
9EE4FB73-F753-41A7-96A2-7005F4EB50CB.jpeg
EBEAC03A-2E17-45CC-9FA6-154172BCB45E.jpeg
8C5E268F-6B94-4E23-A571-1F16352A10E6.jpeg

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using live rock since the mid 80’s, I only set up one tank other then seahorse tank with dry rock. I didn’t like the dry rock so one time was it.
The live rock has changed over the years mainly because of the Fiji, Marshall Island and other rock is not really available these days, but gulf rock has been for years and I’d what I use now. The life on gulf rock surpasses the rock from overseas when it come to life on the rock because the shorter shipping times.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been some time but here is what I got on my rock. It is from the Gulf side. I a definitely agree with the shapes. I am used to the Fiji, it had really good shape.

Little green coral came with rock and clam next to it. They are still alive. Ohh and halamida is still hanging in.
JPEG image.jpeg

Both of the Gorgonians, the red macros and the little green polyps have just popped up in the last week or so.

JPEG image 2.jpeg

It is hard to see but the greyish coral in the center of the pic. I have no idea what kind of coral this is. More red macros.

JPEG image 3.jpeg

This rock is really kewl. Just wanted to show it.
JPEG image 4.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my KPA when I got it (last year). It is Miami oolite rock so basically same as reef saver rock in terms of shapes except it's live from the ocean. Obviously once it is in the tank for a few days... all the dusters and tunicates show up and interesting snails and starfish come out to play.

index.php

index.php

Here is the gulf live rock I received from gulfliverock.com. I don't have close ups as this was years ago... you can see some macro and some corals. It had the typical clams and nem hitchikers. They are kind of like boulders so It wasn't the rock for me. I still buy some now and again in person at the LFS when it has a cool hitchiker like a rose coral on it.

It is great for hitchiker corals and macro but if you care more about shape/scape and don't want random corals (maybe for a SPS keeper?) then KPA is a better choice. They both will have coralline/sponge and most importantly, loaded with bacteria.

IMG_20140531_185223680_HDR_zpsty6wbusn.jpg

Both venders have great reviews, Tampa does too. Regardless what vender you choose, you will get many benefits from choosing their rock. I think Tampa is the only place I have seen people get live fish now and again :)

Last edited:

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol there's literally a vendor here tossing out Walt smith fiji that claims 3 month old soaked rock is ok to sell do you agree?
Just to clarify, Tampa Bay Saltwater was founded in 1990. The founder of TBS, Richard Londeree @liverock , had been depositing various types of rock on the site...yes, even millions of pounds. The rock we are currently harvesting is a mix of vintage TBS inventory, while waiting for new rocks to mature.

All live rock farmers plant new rock, and TBS chose to supplement with Walt Smith. His rock is made with natural Fiji derived ingredients; which in TBS experience, marine organisms attach to it faster than quarried rock.

All ocean aquaculture live rock venders deserve respect.
What we do is not easy, and the product we supply is so beneficial to the greater good of the reef hobby.

IMG_1553.jpg
Recent harvest photo.
PM for further clarifications, final post for this thread. Thank you.

Big Smelly fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, Tampa Bay Saltwater was founded in 1990. The founder of TBS, Richard Londeree @liverock , had been depositing various types of rock on the site...yes, even millions of pounds. The rock we are currently harvesting is a mix of vintage TBS inventory, while waiting for new rocks to mature.

All live rock farmers plant new rock, and TBS chose to supplement with Walt Smith. His rock is made with natural Fiji derived ingredients; which in TBS experience, marine organisms attach to it faster than quarried rock.

All ocean aquaculture live rock venders deserve respect.
What we do is not easy, and the product we supply is so beneficial to the greater good of the reef hobby.

IMG_1553.jpg
Recent harvest photo.
PM for further clarifications, final post for this thread. Thank you.
Your rock is great also, I used it a while back. Lots of life

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day though is kp rocking 25 yr ocean soaked rock?
KP is on a 5 acer government lease in 30 ft of water. They are all on a government lease. It is sorted in a grid and he collects rock and then dumps new replacement rock and then moves to the next plot on the grid. It soaks for about 2 years. If some one tells you there's has been soaking for 25 years I wouldn't be leave them. It is all aquaculture in US water on government leases and is illegal to pluck natural rock.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure gulf live rock has more than a cpl spots they soak rock and pull from. Find it hilarious a simple thread about lr got peeps heated haha

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you kidding me? If someone wants corals and life or if someone wants rocks and shapes than go kp?
I'm talk about ocean rock lol
If I wanted shapes and colors theres plenty of dead rock to choose from?

Don't buy live rock hoping you will get a little snippit of coral. If you do it will die anyway. So will the macro.
After any of them cure you goin to have pink, maroon and purple coralline incrusted rock with lots of diff colored sponge and about 80 different types of beneficial bacteria. Then add your own corals.

If you don't ship it in water about half is goin to die. Shipped in water same day air. the tank can cycle in 5 days.

I spent almost 500 on freight for getting shipped in water same day air on South West Airlines in February. Being that air freight has is 6 to 8 time higher now just 9 months later I don't think its feasible. Air freight is sky high now.

Not shipped in water ground you will have a 3-4 week cycle and man dose it stink! It will stink up the whole house . Trust me done that before. You may want to cure it in your garage in a brute can.

KP fan boy here, I'm sure there are other good ones.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure gulf live rock has more than a cpl spots they soak rock and pull from. Find it hilarious a simple thread about lr got peeps heated haha
I love the smell of live rock!!! No they don't. Its on a couple acers they lease from the US government. If they just pick it up any oh where. Federal charges!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy live rock hoping you will get a little snippit of coral. If you do it will die anyway. So will the macro.
After any of them cure you goin to have pink, maroon and purple coralline incrusted rock with lots of diff colored sponge and about 80 different types of beneficial bacteria. Then add your own corals.

If you don't ship it in water about half is goin to die. Shipped in water same day air. the tank can cycle in 5 days.

I spent almost 500 on freight for getting shipped in water same day air on South West Airlines in February. Being that air freight has is 6 to 8 time higher now just 9 months later I don't think its feasible. Air freight is sky high now.

Not shipped in water ground you will have a 3-4 week cycle and man dose it stink! It will stink up the whole house . Trust me done that before. You may want to cure it in your garage in a brute can.

I've got quite a few corals left on the 200 lbs i ordered. Not sure why anyone would buy liverock loaded with corals unless one intended to buy rock loaded with corals?
I'm sure there's other decent rock out there but nothing I've seen comes close. Full gulf live rock fan here i guess.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who are curious, I had 265 pounds shipping weight from Tampa to Milwaukee last week. Cost in freight was $430. This was Southwest Airlines direct flight from TBS. From their tanks to mine in 6 hours. A few years ago this would have cost about $300 so it’s not terrible.

Last edited:

Big Smelly fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t agree with a few things . One I have my macro algae still alive and growing just fine, I removed most and place in a seahorse tank and it’s still growing, what I didn’t pull off the tangs ate .
shipping in water isn’t necessary in my opinion. Added weight your paying to ship. Most people have it shipped overnight myself included and just being wrapped in damp paper the majority survives. I had urchins, stars and all kind of life survive and do well .

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back