Let's talk airstones and microbubbles IN the Display Tank

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've read some issues with running an airstone through your display tanks powerhead;

1) it turns the surface of the DT into a skimmer,

2) fish can get some sort of gill-disease with microbubbles

3) microbubbles can irritate the tissue of corals

I want to talk about this bc I've run an airstone through my powerhead broadcasting microbubbles thruout the DT for a couple of years. I feel my o2/co2 exchange is better and cirals are better and growing more due to it.

1) since my system has two corner overflows, any skimming debris on the surface should overflow into the sump where it taken care of

2) ive never seen any fish problems with microbubbles

3) never seen microbubbles cause coral irritation. But im 95% LPS with zoas/palys. I could see how SPS Acros could get irritated, but not my problem. In fact, it raises pH and allows corals to gas-off quicker (imo)

Doesn't the Ocean Reefs have a lot of microbubbles from Waves???

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've read some issues with running an airstone through your display tanks powerhead;

I want to talk about this bc I've run an airstone through my powerhead broadcasting microbubbles thruout the DT for a couple of years. I feel my o2/co2 exchange is better and cirals are better and growing more due to it.

1) since my system has two corner overflows, any skimming debris on the surface should overflow into the sump where it taken care of

3) never seen microbubbles cause corals to call it quits

I do this once every 2 weeks. Have a wood stone right at my return pump and apex runs the air pump for 2 hours. Runs from midnight to 2am. After doing it, my skimmer is loaded with gunk.

Never had issues with anything and keeps the tank clean. Even the rocks seem cleaner afterwards.

And I agree. Waves crashing on reefs creates tons of micro bubbles, so not sure what the issue is with them. I could be wrong though, but again never hurt a thing in my tanks.

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am afraid that I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but I am VERY curious to hear what everyone has to say about it. Tagging along for the ride.

Adam

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My in tank Tunze skimmer often puts out lots of microbubbles. So far I haven't noticed any problems they have caused, fish all seem fine.

laxer23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people use micro bubbles to "scrub" their tanks. "bubble scrub" no issues with bubbles and corals.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3) never seen microbubbles cause coral irritation. But im 95% LPS with zoas/palys. I could see how SPS Acros could get irritated, but not my problem. In fact, it raises pH and allows corals to gas-off quicker (imo)

Ah, you mean stuff like this;

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, you mean stuff like this;

Fear mongering....
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back