lets talk in sump bio media. rock vs matrix vs marine pure

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 large mesh bags each with a liter of matrix in my sump. I love it and you can’t beat the price and surface area. Keeping them in bags makes it much easier to rinse out when they accumulate detritus
My system exactly. I've used SeaChem products for years and Matrix just works.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used LR, bag of pond matrix, MP spheres and currently have 2 bright well bricks.
They all work. Matrix has larger pores and collected dirt plus I didn't feel there was much flow with it being in the bag. The ceramic stuff I have had more problems with low nutrients than high.
The stuff does work, oh and the marine pure, it did not elevate ALU in my system (2 trident tests) but it appeared to tick off my toadstool leather, I lost the PE that stood out on this coral. Not sure with the bright well stuff, got rid of the coral.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system exactly. I've used SeaChem products for years and Matrix just works.
I ordered the gal. bucket yesterday for my 170 total volume system might be over kill IDK but I am on the light side of rock in my DT so I thought I better.

I have used LR, bag of pond matrix, MP spheres and currently have 2 bright well bricks.
They all work. Matrix has larger pores and collected dirt plus I didn't feel there was much flow with it being in the bag. The ceramic stuff I have had more problems with low nutrients than high.
The stuff does work, oh and the marine pure, it did not elevate ALU in my system (2 trident tests) but it appeared to tick off my toadstool leather, I lost the PE that stood out on this coral. Not sure with the bright well stuff, got rid of the coral.
good to know as I will have a few toadstool and other leathers so glad I did got go with MP balls.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My setup is a 100g bare bottom with minimal Marco\Stax rockwork. I felt like Matrix would add more surface area than the competition...and was a safe alternative (i.e., tin, etc.). I don't blame you for the overkill. ;-)

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use. Been in the sump for a year now and no noticeable breakdown and pods crawl all through them.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another option...
anyone use the caribSea crushed coral in a media bag for bio media in the sump? seems like it could be a cost effective way to add surface area as long as you rinse it from time to time maybe monthly? + you just might get some PH buffering and or trace elements?

IDK just a thought.

billandwende

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard the Brightwell bricks are far superior to Marinepure and dont break down over time. Anyone use them? Been thinking of getting one myself...
Mine melted away very quickly. They claim that they fixed this issue but I'll spend my money elsewhere. After 2 years my Marine pure is starting to break down a bit. I'm going to go to rock again.

AquaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to start a poll and see what R2R likes and uses.

I would like to add some media to my new tank R 650P man made rock with NSA scape and sand but fell like i could use some bio media in the sump.

what I am looking for is very pours so I dont have the classic pile of rock in the sump like I have had in the past.

I will be getting about 10# of ocean aquacultered LR from KP at some point
I also will l use a few pieces of man made rock ( real reef rock) in the sump but like i said dont want to use to much if I can help it.

they thoughts are:
1. Brightwel bio brick - out of stock for ever now seems like. anyone have experience with this?

2.marine pure bio balls. I have a few in my nano and love em . could get the 1 gallon bucket. do they leach tin & alu. lick the plates? do they fall apart?

3. seachem matrix this it what I was leaning toward natural somewhat cheap and just add to filter bags and good to go. I also have some in my nano that is working just fine.

any others one should consider?

post what you use and why please. pros and cons
I use lava rock seems to work good for me

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a bunch of seachem matrix in a bubblemagus biopellet reactor and so far so good. (The rocks aren’t tumbling of course).

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to in a 75 gal fish only tank the are over a year old do you the still leaking aluminum
If you're asking if the marinepure is still leaking aluminum, probably not, it's in a box in the garage. I took it out.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictured are 3 of the 8X4X4 Marine Pure blocks in my sump. About 5 years old and no noticeable decay. Triton says I am in NSW range for aluminum and is also attached. I feed a ton and my nitrates are 5-10 with just skimmer and socks.

Attachments

• IMG-5038.jpg
    IMG-5038.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 105
  • Display - 03_25_2021 (B-oPYaD9).pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 51

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictured are 3 of the 8X4X4 Marine Pure blocks in my sump. About 5 years old and no noticeable decay. Triton says I am in NSW range for aluminum and is also attached. I feed a ton and my nitrates are 5-10 with just skimmer and socks.

My theory is marine pure changed something in the recipe in the recent manufacturing process making them more brittle. My MP spheres are also 5+ years ago and look like the day I bought them. Conspiracy theory in me says it's more profitable to sell a product that will need to be replaced frequently every 1-2 years vs 5+. Plausible?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back