Lets talk nano skimmers! Reef glass no bueno

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a bad run with a nano skimmer. It seemed all well and the design i liked... my only problem was size! Maybe 4"x 2.75" was the 1st compartment on the aio... after looking at some of the tiny small nano skimmers on MD...id like to talk about em.
-Im seeing an icecap k1. This thing has a 2" profile! Should fit.
-Aquamaxx bullet?!
-tunze 9001...i see two prices though on md... ?
-coralife biocube v2 skimmer. They made the cheap plastic skimmer bigger!

I am about fit form and function... lol

What nano protein skimmer have you had success with?

My reefglass when it broke in...was too small of a body profile to allow the sw past the airstone. It created a pocket or air gap...not allowing the body to fill with water. Just need a larger diameter tube and little smaller airstone imo. Also the tubes that empty and drain ur gunk get clogged so u need to replace em. Clean em ya but might as well replace. All in all i found it a waste of $100.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tunze 9001 in my 32 gal. It works pretty well and fits in the chamber. Very finicky on water level though. An ATO is a soft requirement.

OP
OP
1guydude

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhg. Ty! Thats good to know. Ive always topped off manually. Im going ato! Recently purchased a custom 70g acrylic and looking to start my nano back up to seed it. Thus my skimmer thread. Lol.
I want it to work! Lol. Im used to a 40+" lifereef with hd pump. Lol.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a bubble magus qq2 about 2 weeks ago and it skims well however the microbubbles can be a problem if there is too much flow in the chamber with the skimmer. The fix would be possibly to mod the air intake so it can be adjusted, however out of the box I give it a 3.5 or 4 stars out of 5 because it does skim well.

OP
OP
1guydude

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the hang on 1 or the internal chamber with the magnet? I saw others like BM. Reef octo.80 and esshops even. A chinese vs. Skimmer too off amazon or ebay for aroun $70 that is hob and suppost to b good as well. Sucks cuz i havent bought and used a lot of nano skimmers. I did use the hydor slim skim back when it 1st came out internally in a 20L and it worked kinda... lol.
That skimmer bodys gotta b white with bubbles! Lol
D

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the hang on 1 or the internal chamber with the magnet? I saw others like BM. Reef octo.80 and esshops even. A chinese vs. Skimmer too off amazon or ebay for aroun $70 that is hob and suppost to b good as well. Sucks cuz i havent bought and used a lot of nano skimmers. I did use the hydor slim skim back when it 1st came out internally in a 20L and it worked kinda... lol.
That skimmer bodys gotta b white with bubbles! Lol
D

It's internal chamber for in my sump, but the internals of the pump/skimmer are virtually the same between the two models. I figure if the pump becomes problematic I just mod a better brand one into the skimmer. I got it because of the form factor, where I have less than 4" in the 2nd sump chamber. It seemed to be the "biggest" nano skimmer

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's internal chamber for in my sump, but the internals of the pump/skimmer are virtually the same between the two models. I figure if the pump becomes problematic I just mod a better brand one into the skimmer. I got it because of the form factor, where I have less than 4" in the 2nd sump chamber. It seemed to be the "biggest" nano skimmer.

That said, I think the QQ1 is better if you have space for a HOB because the filter cup drains instead of overflowing and I think there is an air adjustment knob.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down cad nano skimmers. The newest model is kind of big for most AIOs but the older model with some mods fits in my IM25. Have to find it used though.

Pulls nasty brown color and some thick gunk.

If you can fit an Aquamaxx hob, that is also a workhorse.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down cad nano skimmers. The newest model is kind of big for most AIOs but the older model with some mods fits in my IM25. Have to find it used though.

Pulls nasty brown color and some thick gunk.

If you can fit an Aquamaxx hob, that is also a workhorse.

Just looked that one up (cad lights elite nano skimmer) and man it's nice

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking around at nano skimmers myself rn. I’m gonna setup a fluval sea 13.5 AIO and I was gonna go with their skimmer but I just stumbled across the Icecap K1 nano, anyone have any experience or thoughts on either of these?

vjl501tech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the CAD nano skimmers. They seem to be well liked on this forum. However, can it be used on a rimmed aquarium. I noticed a lot of stuff nowadays can only be used on rimless tanks. Eshoppes nano, aquamaxx hob for example. I had 2 icecap nanos. They worked great but pump stopped working and plastic parts just snapped. Im using a Tunze 9001 now but just skims OK. So I’m looking for something better if possible.

thx for all yr help.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubble Magnus qq1 great little skimmer on my 30gallon

vjl501tech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I have a 30 gal rimmed tank. Would the bubble magnus qq1 fit over a rimmed tank. Thx.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the specs:

model : BM QQ1
pump - BUBBLE-MAGUS ROCK SP-600
pump information - AC 220V/50Hz 8.5W
size - 145 by 110 by 265mm
glass thickness : less than 12mm glass

vjl501tech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 gallon rimmed breeder tank.
Is it me or is every nano skimmer made a piece of garbage. I’ve had the icecap nano, Tunze 9001 and eshoppes nano. Everyone one them either cracks, snaps in half or the pump just stops running after only a few months. I wouldn’t mind paying more for something that actually works and doesnt break if I stare at it.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I have a 30 gal rimmed tank. Would the bubble magnus qq1 fit over a rimmed tank. Thx.
You would have to trim the lip on the plastic rim, the part a tank cover would sit on, in order to get it to fit over. It's not hard to do with an x-acto knife, dremel, etc. I use one on a 20gal, I think it works well.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back