Lettuce slugs as hitchhikers?

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I’ve been seeing some small lettuce-y type of things on my rocks. They look like some sort of Elysia slug, and I did see one moving at the back of the tank with definite bunny ears like a sea slug, but I keep spotting others that look stationary. On first glance it just looks like part of the macroalgae that has spread, but on further inspection they look closer to the photos of elysia slugs attached.

I plan to see if the ones I’m seeing that look stationary tonight are still there in the morning, and try to get a pic in daylight.

In the meantime, I’m just wondering if anyone knows if it’s possible to have elysia slugs spread. If not them, what else might I look up to try to ID what I have? Some type of tunicate or sponge?

189433C0-E45D-44DD-9577-9F36FCEAB0BC.jpeg B86DE21A-2600-45DC-A569-D2DCC21DCCBF.png

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, these are definitely alive and mobile, and look like some sort of lettuce type slug. There are multiples — I’ve counted at least three or four now. I see them on the rocks and not on corals. Is it possible to have lettuce slugs breeding/multiplying, or should I look into possibly some other type of slug or nudi?

They’re pretty small and look closest to the type of slug pictured above.

I am hoping someone knowledgeable about elysia (lettuce) slugs can answer on whether or not they would be likely to breed in the aquarium, so that you’d spot multiples. Any other info about this type of slug would also be super helpful. This would help to lead me in the right direction. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this.

Does anyone know much about this type of slug? Lettuce (Elysia) sea slugs. I'm 99% certain that is what I'm seeing but I'm confused as to why there are multiples. Are they likely to breed in systems? Lord knows I have plenty of ulva growing on my rocks for them to be eating, but I've only been seeing them at night, and not during the day.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bumping this.

Does anyone know much about this type of slug? Lettuce (Elysia) sea slugs. I'm 99% certain that is what I'm seeing but I'm confused as to why there are multiples. Are they likely to breed in systems? Lord knows I have plenty of ulva growing on my rocks for them to be eating, but I've only been seeing them at night, and not during the day.
It is indeed lettuce slug and they get to about 2" in size. They feed on algae and are considered peaceful. they need a regular supply of algae and light for survival

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it’s literally impossible to get a photo that would be useful — they’re out at night only and small. I was able to ID them though. They look exactly like this elysia species, there are quite a few, and I saw one that was pretty large tonight. I look in w/a red flashlight at night to see them, and have confirmed the color using a white flashlight briefly.

It’s one of these liked below. They both look the same and I think they’re related. Either way, pretty cool.

https://opistobranquis.info/en/guia/sacoglossa/plakobranchoidea/elysia-flava/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is late, but just to add a conclusion to the thread… I was finally able to get a photo w/a flashlight one night when one of them was on the glass. Super cool creatures, and there are still many of them — I see them all over the tank every night.

Attachments

• 1CA5FE90-A2F1-41E3-A8E9-7835D9986F3D.jpeg
    1CA5FE90-A2F1-41E3-A8E9-7835D9986F3D.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 44

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back