Level sensors for DI reservoir

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm making a controller for my DI system and need to put some sort of level sensor in my DI reservoir.

My first thought was to use an optical sensor like one of these but the cable is only 45 cm long and the tubs are 22" (55 cm) deep and I'd prefer to avoid drilling a hole in the tub. I've thought of regular float switches, but I don't have a great way to secure them (I made the mistake of using a magnet once - using a magnet to secure a magnetic float sensor wasn't the brightest idea) and the edge/lip of the tub doesn't lend itself to hooking a clip over the edge. I could make a stand on the bottom of the tub but I need some sort of weight to hold it in place that won't contaminate or leach out into the DI water.

Does anyone have any ideas for an optical sensor with longer leads or for securing float sensors?

1619387217737.png

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t- but since you are messing around with optical sensors and wiring etc anyway, what about these?

I’m planning on using these for my water station upgrade

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t- but since you are messing around with optical sensors and wiring etc anyway, what about these?

I’m planning on using these for my water station upgrade

Thanks for the suggestion - I looked at something () that said the liquid had to be conductive and since DI water is actually a fairly good insulator I didn’t think it would work. I also kind of assumed that applied to all of them, but there are others that say there are no requirements for the liquid to be sensed So I may just pick one up and see how well it works.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back