Leveling 55 Gallon Aquarium?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving my aquarium tomorrow, and switching to a DIY cinderblock and plywood stand, as my current stand is starting to sag and fall apart.

Cleared out a space and set it up, but it's definitely not level, it's the floor not the stand. Basement, the whole floor slopes to the sump pit.

So, how does one go about properly leveling a stand, and how important is it to have it perfectly level?

First picture is the width, second is the width, if it matters.

DSC_0789.JPG DSC_0790.JPG

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these shims, where would they go? By that I mean directly under the tank rim, or underneath the plywood? Does the entire tank bottom needs to be supported.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, thanks. Shouldn't be overly difficult I don't think. Except my hardware store is closed tomorrow. Dang. Might be able to find some elsewhere.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, shim. NEVER directly under the tank - you will create pressure points that can cause the tank to crack.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a bigger tank, use plastic shims. Wooden ones will compress under pressure over time. Also, make sure you have shim every 1-2 inches, so it distributes load evenly.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently my local 'hardware' store is all out of shims, as are the nearby ones. Guess everyone is doing home improvement projects with all this downtime.

So I got some aluminum flat bar, and started shimming.
Well. Turns out my floor is way not flat. I don't even know if there is a point trying to shim it 7/16ths...

DSC_0792.JPG DSC_0793.JPG

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am at a point where I have the wood level to where I think it's just surface irregularities, but am not 100% sure from here.

I hear a rubber mat or Styrofoam can cover up those discrepancies, is that a thing?

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am at a point where I have the wood level to where I think it's just surface irregularities, but am not 100% sure from here.

I hear a rubber mat or Styrofoam can cover up those discrepancies, is that a thing?

A yoga mat is probably cheapest way of going about it, but it all depend in what kind of tank you have. If it is glass with plastic trim on bottom and top, then nothing goes underneath it, as that is what plastic trim is for. If you have glass tank without that trim or acrylic tank, then you can use mat underneath it.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yoga mat is probably cheapest way of going about it, but it all depend in what kind of tank you have. If it is glass with plastic trim on bottom and top, then nothing goes underneath it, as that is what plastic trim is for. If you have glass tank without that trim or acrylic tank, then you can use mat underneath it.
Plastic trim. I was going to put a thin rubber sheet under it to protect the plywood from any spills.
I'm sure it will need adjustment once the tank is on the stand, but I really want to avoid screwing around with it too much, as my livestock (2 fish) will have to be living in a bucket during the move, concerns about stress, ammonia and whatnot.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back