Leveling Layers of Flex Seal in Stand

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a fantastic stand that was made by a local hobbyist and woodworker, @Billdogg. He added a layer of Flex Seal to the bottom of the inside of the stand to help contain possible leaks and spills. Unfortunately, it peeled away in a handful of places when I was situating my sump, which you can see in the photo below.

40E57949-45A2-4FF8-9CFF-046992E6D45E.jpeg

I picked up a can of Flex Seal and I poured it’s entirety into the stand so that I could create a thicker layer to minimize the possibility of additional damage (peeling) when I put my sump back into the stand. However, I could not get the Flex Seal to be smooth; ripples formed and so did ridges, which I could not smooth out with the tools that I have. You can see the results below.

1063616A-7888-46C4-9E89-99490B9B87DE.jpeg

I’m left wondering whether I should get an additional can of Flex Seal and attempt to better create a leveled layer above this. I thought about adding a layer of foam to rest the sump and ATO reservoir on if adding another layer of Flex Seal is not a good idea. However, I don’t have experience with this type of situation, so I’m. It sure which would be best. This morning, I noticed that the second layer adhered surprisingly well to the initial layer, so I’m not concerned with that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was it cold when you poured it?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Brew12 used this in his too. Planning on it in ours. Now I do have concerns.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just use a sheet of 1/2” or 3/4 inch polystyrene foam on the bottom.
In general I have never understood the need for this type of drip tray.
Is it just to contain drips when removing equipment from the sump?

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it cold when you poured it?
The room that I poured it in is the first floor of our three-floor townhouse. The temperature is ~63°F there. The fumes that it released were intense, so I moved the stand into the garage, which is in the 30-40°F range. I anticipated issues caused by that, so I’m trying to rectify them now.

My sump and ATO reservoir are acrylic, so I’m not expecting major issues if I rest them on the bottom of the stand, even with the current state of the Flex Seal. I live in an apartment, so the Flex Seal is a nice addition to my leak detectors to minimize and possibly prevent damages to the floor.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that Nick!

It doesn't dry hard like a paint does it? Still just a bit compressable? I don't know that I'd worry too much about it. With that thick of a coat I'd give it at least several days to cure before putting anything on it but I really think it will be fine. I think the directions say 24hrs @70, so even if it's back inside it'll need some time. If you put anything down under the sump at all I'd use something like 1/4 Baltic Birch plywood that has a few layers of paint or poly on it. That will provide a nice smooth surface for the sump to sit on. I might even know a guy that might have some laying around someplace :cool: ;) :cool:

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that Nick!

It doesn't dry hard like a paint does it? Still just a bit compressable? I don't know that I'd worry too much about it. With that thick of a coat I'd give it at least several days to cure before putting anything on it but I really think it will be fine. If you put anything down under the sump at all I'd use something like 1/4 Baltic Birch plywood that has a few layers of paint or poly on it. That will provide a nice smooth surface for the sump to sit on. I might even know a guy that might have some laying around someplace :cool: ;) :cool:
There’s no need to apologize! I’m incredibly happy with the stand and cabinet! You performed a lot of work on them, and I wanted to give you a break from my questions, which is why I created this thread. :)

It doesn’t feel hard, like paint does when it dries, so that’s why I’m not too concerned with placing my stand and ATO reservoir on it. However, I wanted to ask for suggestions since I don’t have experience with Flex Seal.

My only concern is that it’s quite “grippy”, and when the time comes for me to maintenance my sump, which I do on an annual basis, I want to make sure that I don’t damage the Flex Seal again because I won’t have days to allow another layer to cure. I plan to let this layer cure for another few days because the garage is still filled with fumes, even after leaving the garage door opened by ~12” overnight; it’s clear that it’ll need a few days to fully cure.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think your layer may not have been completely cured when you placed your sump on it. It should be dried hard.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can pour it, paint it, or spray it.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no need to apologize! I’m incredibly happy with the stand and cabinet! You performed a lot of work on them, and I wanted to give you a break from my questions, which is why I created this thread. :)

It doesn’t feel hard, like paint does when it dries, so that’s why I’m not too concerned with placing my stand and ATO reservoir on it. However, I wanted to ask for suggestions since I don’t have experience with Flex Seal.

My only concern is that it’s quite “grippy”, and when the time comes for me to maintenance my sump, which I do on an annual basis, I want to make sure that I don’t damage the Flex Seal again because I won’t have days to allow another layer to cure. I plan to let this layer cure for another few days because the garage is still filled with fumes, even after leaving the garage door opened by ~12” overnight; it’s clear that it’ll need a few days to fully cure.
How about putting a yoga mat(or similar foam mat) under the sump? That way the sump itself won't get gripped by the flex seal.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I plan on a yoga mat between the sump and flex seal layer to protect both.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back