LFS Advised me not to purchase Waterbox RedSea

Status
Not open for further replies.

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't go with either on my upgrade, only because of the tank size. I did struggle with not going with the Red Sea 900, but ended up going custom. Both tank companies are making some awesome tanks.
Agreed, my next time will be a RedSea or Waterbox. I went with IM this time but only because I was in a semi-rush (that ended up taking a year to do anyway.. ) and didn't care to look into it that much. I'd have gone with wither of those had I done my research. Nothing wrong with IM, I just like the setup of in stand sumps more than AIO.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, Southern California aquariums. I've also heard good things about glasscages and the are US based.
Having trouble
That’s weird, I’m not sure why your LFS hate waterbox. My LFS have multiple waterbox aquariums scattered around the store and the quality of their tanks look amazing.
They told me they didn’t even have one laying around they sell one a month and it usually always gets shipped with scratches or cracks and it would take multiple tries to get one perfectly delivered because they ship terribly.

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be interesting to follow. But I’ve had read many complaints about the new redesigned Red Sea aquariums busting at the seams and leaking water. Of course the manufacturers are not going to admit this. But your local fish stores are going to know more about these items. They deal with these day in and day out. I think they just want you to have peace of mind on your purchase and be happy about it. I too wanted to purchase a Red Sea aquarium but after the many complaints about tanks busting and leaking. I can’t afford that after spending a couple of thousands of dollars

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having trouble

They told me they didn’t even have one laying around they sell one a month and it usually always gets shipped with scratches or cracks and it would take multiple tries to get one perfectly delivered because they ship terribly.
Jesus, I'd be flippin furious with a dealer if they were talking about the product this way. Again, go to the tank forums on R2R you'll see an endless supply of WaterBox, RedSea etc. Can't be that bad can they?

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be interesting to follow. But I’ve had read many complaints about the new redesigned Red Sea aquariums busting at the seams and leaking water. Of course the manufacturers are not going to admit this. But your local fish stores are going to know more about these items. They deal with these day in and day out. I think they just want you to have peace of mind on your purchase and be happy about it. I too wanted to purchase a Red Sea aquarium but after the many complaints about tanks busting and leaking. I can’t afford that after spending a couple of thousands of dollars
Great point they do this for a living they probably would have more experience on a day To day basis...I feel the same way if I am going to spend 3-4 thousand dollars on a large build the last thing I want is an issue down the line while it’s filled with valuable fish and coral. I’ve read some sad threads on tanks falling apart and water spilling everywhere and idk how I would handle that....

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with me is their proprietary plumbing. Two hundred bucks for a new set. Thin walled and if they crack on an established tank its a pain to replace!
Jesus, I'd be flippin furious with a dealer if they were talking about the product this way. Again, go to the tank forums on R2R you'll see an endless supply of WaterBox, RedSea etc. Can't be that bad can they?
The main complaint was glass sumos being terribly unreliable and not long lasting at all. The claim was sump water is constantly increase and decreasing wearing the seam/glue down quicker as a pose to an acrylic sump.

Scott71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS will not sell Red Sea tanks. He does sell Red Sea products, but says their tanks are not good and he would not own one and therefore will not sell one. They tried to convince him to sell them by talking about profit margins on their tanks and he said no thanks. He’s brutally honest about things and is a stand up guy.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do they sell waterbox tanks if they think they suck? lol

lfs get sponsored by different stuff so if you go there enough you get to see them switch in real time. my closest lfs used to rail on JBJ tanks as chinese made garbage, but now i see they're sponsored and selling JBJ tanks!

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS will not sell Red Sea tanks. He does sell Red Sea products, but says their tanks are not good and he would not own one and therefore will not sell one. They tried to convince him to sell them by talking about profit margins on their tanks and he said no thanks. He’s brutally honest about things and is a stand up guy.
Sounded like my first LFS he wasn’t really pushy on selling me anything just pretty honest showing me the leaks on the display RedSea they had in the store and even pulled out his phone and showed me his custom tank he made.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do they sell waterbox tanks if they think they suck? lol

lfs get sponsored by different stuff so if you go there enough you get to see them switch in real time. my closest lfs used to rail on JBJ tanks as chinese made garbage, but now i see they're sponsored and selling JBJ tanks!
Good question profit maybe? They had some jbj in stock and small Waterbox. They main things this LFS pushes is garlic power drops , vibrant, melafix, and Salifert test kits.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I hear lots of good regarding WaterBox
Red Sea . . . No Comment

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounded like my first LFS he wasn’t really pushy on selling me anything just pretty honest showing me the leaks on the display RedSea they had in the store and even pulled out his phone and showed me his custom tank he made.

Well there you go, you just answered your question. He was talking badly about Red Sea/ Waterbox because he wants to sell you a custom tank that he makes.... higher profit. Doubt you’ll get anything nearly the same quality as Red Sea, water box, etc.

I would go to a different fish store and check there. Literally ANYWHERE other than where an employee is trying to show off his own DIY tanks while disparaging another brand... I

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back