LFS Advised me not to purchase Waterbox RedSea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you look at a Red Sea, an Aquabox and a custom tank and tell which one will or will not fail?

I look at details in craftsmanship and how long the builder has been in business. Every retailer and every guy posting his opinion on line is biased in some way.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea and Waterbox are both high-end mass produced aquariums... I mean you can always go custom but not everyone is THAT into their aquarium. I have a Red Sea E260 for the record... it uh holds water.

I will say I believe Red Sea has some of the best lights on the market.

Last edited:

ponyboy96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be he didn’t have the size you wanted in stock and was trying to push you to something else. From what I’ve heard, Red Seas are harder to come by right now or out of stock.

Our LFS has water box, Red Sea and planet aquariums. Personally I liked the planet aquarium with the stealth filter a bit better than the others. The wife liked the Red Sea 300xl the best. So we get the Red Sea. Only issues I’ve heard of with Red Sea are the larger tanks 500+.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you look at a Red Sea, an Aquabox and a custom tank and tell which one will or will not fail?

I look at details in craftsmanship and how long the builder has been in business. Every retailer and every guy posting his opinion on line is biased in some way.
I can’t I was hoping someone on here had that ability ;)

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea and Waterbox are both high-end mass produced aquariums... I mean you can always go custom but not everyone is THAT into their aquarium. I have a Red Sea E260 for the record... it uh holds water.

I will say I believe Red Sea has some of the best lights on the market.
How long has your tank been running ?

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be he didn’t have the size you wanted in stock and was trying to push you to something else. From what I’ve heard, Red Seas are harder to come by right now or out of stock.

Our LFS has water box, Red Sea and planet aquariums. Personally I liked the planet aquarium with the stealth filter a bit better than the others. The wife liked the Red Sea 300xl the best. So we get the Red Sea. Only issues I’ve heard of with Red Sea are the larger tanks 500+.
How long have you had your tank running ?

Bnichols124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, RS and WB both are great tanks. I was in your shoes recently wanted a AIO combo but never liked the sump designs for WB and didn't like the plumbing or bulk heads from red sea or the tank size. I wanted 48x24x16 witch would of been the wb frag 100.4. I ended up going with a deep blue (seapora) tank, syngery sump and DIY stand for much less then a AIO. I also wanted removable front and side pannels for the stand. Im very happy with my build, a little sad on the quality of the silicone. Really think about what you want and maybe coustom is the way to go but the easy ness of the AIO tank is nice but you get what they sell you. Also WB dose financing (if need) and can add the lights into it

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, RS and WB both are great tanks. I was in your shoes recently wanted a AIO combo but never liked the sump designs for WB and didn't like the plumbing or bulk heads from red sea or the tank size. I wanted 48x24x16 witch would of been the wb frag 100.4. I ended up going with a deep blue (seapora) tank, syngery sump and DIY stand for much less then a AIO. I also wanted removable front and side pannels for the stand. Im very happy with my build, a little sad on the quality of the silicone. Really think about what you want and maybe coustom is the way to go but the easy ness of the AIO tank is nice but you get what they sell you. Also WB dose financing (if need) and can add the lights into it
My biggest fear is having silicone/seam issues due to that happening to me in the past twice on my tanks. Saw your build looks great! Thank you for the advice

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fishy. I'd imagine the LFS has a better profit margin with the custom maker, or as some have alluded their lead time is now way better with the custom maker (and so this is an effective way to get money in their hands).

RS and WB may or may not be "Chinese junk". But at the same time they're waaay better than Aqueon (I know this from first hand experience; you can figure it out in 1 minute if you compare them in person). And while I'm sure it's fashionable to knock on Aquoen and the stuff you get at PetPlace, the vast majority of fish tanks in the US are from Aqueon and PetPlace. Ergo, on the average, they work well......

Last edited:

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have been looking and red see or I'm tanks as I'm looking to upgrade, I live within 3 miles of 4 big lfs's there is one where the owner and I have gotten kind of close. He always goes out of his way to help me out as I'm there every other day spending money lol. I have been looking at the rsr 250 or 350 and the wb 100.3.

I asked about the red sea issues he told he there have been issues with the red sea tanks / stands but it was to due bad construction of the base causing the tank to flex or the base to receive bad distribution of the load of the full tank and having issues over time. He did mention they internally resolved the issue by adjusting something with the stand so the mistake is not made by the end users cause a ripple effect of issues.

Personally I'm still on the fence on who to go with but I wanted to add my .02 we both agreed both companies sell tens of thousands of tanks. It make sense for a few to have issues. He did mention that red sea does a good job to resolve claims, which I have no idea if it's true I've heard some YouTubers say waterbox has better customer support but my lfs guy swears red sea has top notch support. I have no comment on the support as I don't own either yet and never had to reach out.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fishy. I'd imagine the LFS have a better profit margin with the custom maker, or as some have alluded their lead time is now way better with the custom maker (and so this is an effective way to get money in their hands).

RS and WB may or may not be "Chinese junk". But at the same time they're waaay better than Aqueon (I know this from first hand experience; you can figure it out in 1 minute if you compare them in person). And while I'm sure it's fashionable to knock on Aquoen and the stuff you get at PetPlace, the vast majority of fish tanks in the US are from Aqueon and PetPlace. Ergo, on the average, they work well......
Yeah good point! I’ve had topfin in the past and it leaked the seam popped off and Aqueon for about 8 months and this also began to leak along all 4 sides of the bottom. Now I am willing to pay the troll to cross the bridge into a leak free tank I just want to make sure I make the right decision :rolleyes:

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest fear is having silicone/seam issues due to that happening to me in the past twice on my tanks. Saw your build looks great! Thank you for the advice
Check out Cade aquariums or maybe even Innovative Marine. Cade is from Australia and is just now getting in the US but they are huge in Australia, AlgaeBarn is now selling them. Their design and cabinet is everything you could ask for but they dont make an AIO. Their smallest one is a 57gal display with 13gal sump. Its basically open the box and ready to go system, dont have to glue plumbing or nothing. But if your set on an AIO check out Innovative Marine they are decent tanks but not sure if they offer an AIO.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have been looking and red see or I'm tanks as I'm looking to upgrade, I live within 3 miles of 4 big lfs's there is one where the owner and I have gotten kind of close. He always goes out of his way to help me out as I'm there every other day spending money lol. I have been looking at the rsr 250 or 350 and the wb 100.3.

I asked about the red sea issues he told he there have been issues with the red sea tanks / stands but it was to due bad construction of the base causing the tank to flex or the base to receive bad distribution of the load of the full tank and having issues over time. He did mention they internally resolved the issue by adjusting something with the stand so the mistake is not made by the end users cause a ripple effect of issues.

Personally I'm still on the fence on who to go with but I wanted to add my .02 we both agreed both companies sell tens of thousands of tanks. It make sense for a few to have issues. He did mention that red sea does a good job to resolve claims, which I have no idea if it's true I've heard some YouTubers say waterbox has better customer support but my lfs guy swears red sea has top notch support. I have no comment on the support as I don't own either yet and never had to reach out.
I appreciate your input I agree with you! From what I’ve gathered online Waterbox has great customer service and RedSea is inconsistent amongst people some say great some say terrible. Yet I personally can’t speak on either just gathering from what I’m reading I hope you’re happy with whatever decision you make!

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have never owned Red Sea, but have followed them for awhile. I’ve watched Waterbox from the start and recently decided to buy a 100.3. Here is my take.

Waterbox has designed a really high quality product! I’ll start with the stand. It is made out of solid plywood and everything is predrilled with good hardware. My stand cane with a slight defect and customer service sent me a brand new one with a simple email exchange.

the packaging for shipping was literally top notch and had my tank is less than a week!

the sump is high quality glass, with a foam pad glued to the bottom. The sump is well thought out and layed out! The dimensions are perfect for me!

The bread and money! The tank! Let me tell you what! Talk about beautiful seams and glass! It is legit a work of art! I literally could not be happier with the tank!

the plumbing is also pre glued and fits like a glove!

I don’t regret my purchase one bit and am very happy with the quality!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a high end, made in USA tank, Planet Aquariums makes great stuff.

5 year warranty too.

I second this, 2 tanks from them in the last 8 months. I had a small issue and they took care me me that day with a new upgraded tank.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah good point! I’ve had topfin in the past and it leaked the seam popped off and Aqueon for about 8 months and this also began to leak along all 4 sides of the bottom. Now I am willing to pay the troll to cross the bridge into a leak free tank I just want to make sure I make the right decision :rolleyes:
My Red Sea is about 8 months, but it’s still level so I don’t see why it would suddenly start leaking.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Cade aquariums or maybe even Innovative Marine. Cade is from Australia and is just now getting in the US but they are huge in Australia, AlgaeBarn is now selling them. Their design and cabinet is everything you could ask for but they dont make an AIO. Their smallest one is a 57gal display with 13gal sump. Its basically open the box and ready to go system, dont have to glue plumbing or nothing. But if your set on an AIO check out Innovative Marine they are decent tanks but not sure if they offer an AIO.
Searching them up now!

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have never owned Red Sea, but have followed them for awhile. I’ve watched Waterbox from the start and recently decided to buy a 100.3. Here is my take.

Waterbox has designed a really high quality product! I’ll start with the stand. It is made out of solid plywood and everything is predrilled with good hardware. My stand cane with a slight defect and customer service sent me a brand new one with a simple email exchange.

the packaging for shipping was literally top notch and had my tank is less than a week!

the sump is high quality glass, with a foam pad glued to the bottom. The sump is well thought out and layed out! The dimensions are perfect for me!

The bread and money! The tank! Let me tell you what! Talk about beautiful seams and glass! It is legit a work of art! I literally could not be happier with the tank!

the plumbing is also pre glued and fits like a glove!

I don’t regret my purchase one bit and am very happy with the quality!
Happy to hear this!! I wish you had a build thread for me to creep on :D How long have you had your Waterbox ?

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t I was hoping someone on here had that ability ;)
I just think it's best to examine in person. You can't trust people online very much. If I buy a tank and it splits a seam how do you know if that is poor craftsmanship by the builder or poor handling by the owner? Too many unknowns.
I have seen Red Sea, Waterbox and many others in person that looked to be high quality tanks that I would spend my money on. I have seen tanks with poor looking seams, chipped edges, green glass and janky stands that I would not.
Sorry if I am no help. I just think you can find people to bad mouth any product ever built if you look long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back