Status
Not open for further replies.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my gf is a clean freak and will not allow me to do that. That is a great idea with renting tools thank you will use that in the future for smaller project

Sometimes its cheaper to buy used tools from fb marketplace/Craigslist. You can always sell them after. It's a bit more hassle but something to think about

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any specifics on why?

Unavailability of replacement plumbing parts, non standard sizes, sump designed to not give much play with power is lost and pump is offline. Cabinet quality doesn't match price...shipping issues and nothing that stands out that makes the price point of any value.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my RSR750 for 8 months now and couldn’t be happier. Haven’t had any issues (knock on wood) and been really impressed with design. It was very highly priced, but you get what you pay for. I also like the heavy duty glass over acrylic.

My one caution about LFS tanks is that they are generally contracted out with a vendor and will always be a bit biased. Ran into the same thing with a LFS here before I bought my Reefer. Funny thing is, when I contacted the vendor to make a similar tank as the RS, they called it “custom” and wanted nearly the same amount.

I’ve got a custom tank upstairs from one of these companies in LA and it’s fine. But the connectors and sump were not necessarily made for the stand so it can be a PITA sometimes. I like the look of the RS tanks but you can’t go wrong with Waterbox either.
Yes it does seem like custom is the way to go. However def paying more for the set up in the long run...get what you pay for

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a Redsea <6months old. NO issues on my end. Haven't complained to anyone and have been quite. Keep in mind you dont hear the satisfied customers. However, in the last week, on the RS facebook page (750s, 425xl etc, all sizes it would seem), this has been happening. Again only a few days, and like clockwork, they muzzle the threads there.

1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
Failure.jpg
Just a few days ago?!

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I maybe wrong but I feel like the reason there are so many RedSea and Waterbox tanks out there vs custom is because you have the ability to finance and make payments for an extended period of time vs spending thousands of dollars all that once. Custom aquariums seem higher quality and you get exactly what you want however you pay sometimes a little more and there is no ability to finance. I also feel like the sleek look of the RedSea and waterbox tanks attracts many people (my girlfriend being one). It seems like all the hard work is done merely plug and play and go straight into everyone’s favorite part fish and coral stocking. The tanks may not be the highest of quality depending on who you ask everyone has different standards some are more easily satisfied than others. I made this thread not to get people to bash either company I simply wanted to have real life user feedback from fellow reefers and I appreciate each and every response that has helped me narrow my decision down. This is by far one of the best online forum I have been apart of thank you all!

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I made the stand. Didn't save much money by doing DIY but I got it built the way I wanted to fit what I needed.

20200114_081139.jpg

Not the most elegant work, but it does what it needs to.
That looks great man great work!

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea and waterbox certainly aren't "garbage" and you can definitely get many years of use out of one. The tanks are near standard sizes (usually), so finding replacement stands isn't a problem.

Personally I'd be more worried/annoyed about plumbing options and fixing an AIO, since you have no control over parts.

A custom tank is definitely nicer, but also definitely more expensive. You get what you pay for. Personally I'd buy a mass produced tank local off the shelf (cheaper, easier to swap if there is a problem, can inspect it) or custom. I wouldn't buy a mass produced tank AND ship it. Again, thats just me.

The hard work definitely isn't "done" with those tanks. In fact, its just beginning. Hopefully whatever they specced it with is what you want/can handle your needs. And the hard part is all the reef chemistry. Buying a tank/stand and plumbing it is not that hard...in fact its the best part since a good set up will give you years of ease.

If this is your first tank, I'd buy off the shelf at the store, or get a smaller custom tank. If this is your last tank, go custom for sure. Unless you are planning to do something very demanding with your tank, it will be fine. And even then ,it will also be fine. What you really dont want to skimp on is lights.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Reefers!

I am currently looking for a new AIO system. I originally wanted a RedSea tank! I went to my LFS who is an authorized dealer for RedSea showed mea large one they had on display. He told me that they are def the cleanest way to go and are gorgeous tanks. He pointed out a few issues he has with the one in the store and how it has minor leaks on by the rim and salt creep through the edges. I myself did my fair share of research and I ran into several threads about their tanks leaking through seams and silicone not holding well. Several threads on the stands not being able to hold weight and eventually getting crushed. I then ran into Waterbox which my girlfriend is obsessed with. They remind me of RedSea tanks although I haven’t found nearly as many complaints as RedSea. So I decided to visit another LFS that was an authorized dealer for Waterbox. They basically told me that both RedSea and Waterbox is overpriced garbage made in China. I was told that the stands would not support the weight of the tank for long and would fall apart after a few years which is why they don’t offer lifetime warranties on any of their products. I was told Waterbox has only been in business for 2 years and RedSea for 30 years but have only started to make decent tanks for the last 7 years. They suggested I order a custom built tank and stand with a lifetime warranty through one of their wholesalers. I felt like they were very anti Waterbox and RedSea at the same time they had some
Valid points. I can’t really speak from First hand experience on the quality and longevity of Waterbox or RedSea. I can only speculate based off of what I read online. I wanted to hear everyone’s input who actually longtime owners of these products and whether or not custom built is as superior as my LFS claims. Thanks for all
The replies in advance!
You should totally check out the line of CADE tanks we offer! Wanna talk about high quality! https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/aquariums/cade-pr-600-series-2/ ~Shaun K

Toadpapa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously looking at the cade for our first tank. Wish we could see one in person. I noticed they are preorder on your site, how long before they are shipped out? Never bought from algaebarn, first tank and all, but I’ve heard the name. Have you all ever shipped big things like aquariums and are you confident in that process. Just worried to buy something site unseen except for pics on a website and something so new there aren’t many reviews. I know one thing that the 425xl we thought would be our first tank won’t be with all these negative reviews I’ve been seeing recently.

You should totally check out the line of CADE tanks we offer! Wanna talk about high quality! https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/aquariums/cade-pr-600-series-2/ ~Shaun K

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously looking at the cade for our first tank. Wish we could see one in person. I noticed they are preorder on your site, how long before they are shipped out? Never bought from algaebarn, first tank and all, but I’ve heard the name. Have you all ever shipped big things like aquariums and are you confident in that process. Just worried to buy something site unseen except for pics on a website and something so new there aren’t many reviews. I know one thing that the 425xl we thought would be our first tank won’t be with all these negative reviews I’ve been seeing recently.
Here is a build thread of the 1500 so you can get a better view of one rather than just advertisement pictures. They are very well built. Im getting ready to order one. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/firthys-cade-1500-from-downunder.705956/

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest thing is many manufacturers have had problems these companies are no different. I will say the complete package takes some of the guess work out of building a reef tank. The biggest reason I see some people don't use them including myself is a complete package takes some of the fun out of it. One of my favorite parts of this hobby is hand picking all the parts needed. But to each their own! I wish you nothing but the best of luck on your choice.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest thing is many manufacturers have had problems these companies are no different. I will say the complete package takes some of the guess work out of building a reef tank. The biggest reason I see some people don't use them including myself is a complete package takes some of the fun out of it. One of my favorite parts of this hobby is hand picking all the parts needed. But to each their own! I wish you nothing but the best of luck on your choice.
I’m going to try and learn to embrace and enjoy that part of the hobby :D

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 4 1/2 year old Red Sea Max S650 and have no real complaints about the build quality, but the Max S series is their flag ship model and comes with a full aluminium stand, not the basic wooden ones on some of the other models

I also owned a Max E260 for 2 months before upgrading to the S650 and there all very nice systems.

Now having learned the hobby and also upgraded to a 530g custom built system, would I buy another Red Sea tank ? Personally the answer is no, but only because I know what I’m doing now (well maybe..! Lol)

The reason is that when you start out, the all in one tanks for example, are great because if your learning there an excellent starting point because everything has been designed for you. But once you know what your doing you realise there are better ways of designing things.

The build quality of my custom is light years ahead of Red Sea and at a very reasonable price. I have eurobracing, a steel powder coated stand which is incredibly sturdy, and a custom designed sump.

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I am leaning towards purchasing a custom tank from SCA/Planet and taking the advice of @aior0s and building my own stand despite being intimidated with the idea :rolleyes: I will be using steel and oak wood.
not that I’m suggesting you would, but make sure not to over look making everything as perfectly level as possible, this is one of the main issues that could lead to a collapse or structure failure even way down the road, this could include after making your stand build level, once it’s situated in the spot your placing it in the casa check again in case there are any spots the floor might not be level which can be fixed by using shims between the stand and floor if needed.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of the t slot for my next tank. But of course this is just a wish list. Probably 5 years from now.
But I heard T slot can be expensive.

Whispers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea xxl750 running almost 2 1/2 years with no issues yett (knock on wood)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.7%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back