Status
Not open for further replies.

NM All beach no ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having trouble

They told me they didn’t even have one laying around they sell one a month and it usually always gets shipped with scratches or cracks and it would take multiple tries to get one perfectly delivered because they ship terribly.

Ordered a 220 directly from WB. Came packaged perfectly, like a tank... no pun intended.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have an info on RedSea or WB. I went with an IM AIO & I love it. Don’t know what other LFS you have gone to except the one in San Marcos. Go to Aquatic Warehouse in Kearny Mesa. They have tons of aquariums all different brands. You can actually see them. We must be North County neighbors.
  • Address:5466 Complex Street Suite 204
    San Diego, CA 92123
  • Phone 858) 467-9297

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have an info on RedSea or WB. I went with an IM AIO & I love it. Don’t know what other LFS you have gone to except the one in San Marcos. Go to Aquatic Warehouse in Kearny Mesa. They have tons of aquariums all different brands. You can actually see them. We must be North County neighbors.
  • Address:5466 Complex Street Suite 204
    San Diego, CA 92123
  • Phone 858) 467-9297
That is one of the locations I went to where I received this advice actually :D

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the quote I got from my LFS
88A13E98-61B3-4A7A-B1F2-E1A0D80A98B1.jpeg

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a reefer 170 for a couple years then got a reefer 250 last year. If I ever get a bigger it will be Red Sea again. WB looks so similar I don’t think you could go wrong. Both look amazing filled with coral. Both Easy to set up and get going but still like RS more. The cades look awesome too but out of my price range. I am willing to bet the stores knew they where having to wait to get there orders shipped and persuaded you to look elsewhere but it looks like Marine Depot is not having any delays. Both my tanks arrived perfect BTW no scratches or cracks. One was from MD and other was from BRS. Just my 2 cents

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the warranty on that setup from the quote?

My 0.02.. I purchased and setup a reefer 250 in December 2016. It developed a pinhole leak in the seam on the front corner a few inches from the top in May 2017. I discovered it when I got home from work on Friday night of Memorial Day weekend.

I drained the tank below the leak and got in touch with Red Sea on Tuesday and provided pictures of the leak and my receipt. I received a replacement tank the beginning of the following week.

I am currently in the process of rebooting the tank after moving. I havent had any issues with rusty hinges, stand integrity, sump seams or any of the other issues I have seen mentioned.

The one thing I hated was the red sea valve to control the overflow. I changed that out for a Spears gate valve when I set the tank back up, and, so far, I have been much happier with dialing in the valve.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I can say is missing is about the LFS going for profits over dealer loyalty.

Get real, the other half of the coin is return business.
If they sell you crap they don't get your business again.
Plus they become the face of RS or WB and get the crap from the customer they sold it to.

I do not own either but am friends with my LFS store owner who carries both as his customer base demands it.
He would rather not carry either product.
As he says he is the first call if there is a problem because he sold it to them. When he has to tell them to take it up with RS or WB he loses them as a customer.
Thats the nature of the consumer beast.
With his local tank supplyer builder he has control and can help.
So he does not lose a customer.
Most LFS owners are there to help the customer and want to continue to do business with them. Just saying.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the warranty on that setup from the quote?

My 0.02.. I purchased and setup a reefer 250 in December 2016. It developed a pinhole leak in the seam on the front corner a few inches from the top in May 2017. I discovered it when I got home from work on Friday night of Memorial Day weekend.

I drained the tank below the leak and got in touch with Red Sea on Tuesday and provided pictures of the leak and my receipt. I received a replacement tank the beginning of the following week.

I am currently in the process of rebooting the tank after moving. I havent had any issues with rusty hinges, stand integrity, sump seams or any of the other issues I have seen mentioned.

The one thing I hated was the red sea valve to control the overflow. I changed that out for a Spears gate valve when I set the tank back up, and, so far, I have been much happier with dialing in the valve.
Lifetime warranty

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I can say is missing is about the LFS going for profits over dealer loyalty.

Get real, the other half of the coin is return business.
If they sell you crap they don't get your business again.
Plus they become the face of RS or WB and get the crap from the customer they sold it to.

I do not own either but am friends with my LFS store owner who carries both as his customer base demands it.
He would rather not carry either product.
As he says he is the first call if there is a problem because he sold it to them. When he has to tell them to take it up with RS or WB he loses them as a customer.
Thats the nature of the consumer beast.
With his local tank supplyer builder he has control and can help.
So he does not lose a customer.
Most LFS owners are there to help the customer and want to continue to do business with them. Just saying.
You are correct! This is basically what the owner was conveying that he had many complaints and no control over anything just the middle man for shipping and receiving if issues arise.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decided with that custom, I would definitely talk to them about delivery too. It could get expensive if you hire a 3rd party.
If you got friends and a truck, that would be cheaper.
Yeah I think delivery would be extra for sure. I don’t think I’m going to take that offer. The custom tank purchase from SCA and building my own stand seems more logical in terms of quality and price. Despite how nice waterbox and RedSea tanks look

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess every tank can potentially have a problem - (brand wise) - I have had a couple large Redsea tanks. Have read a lot about the issues with the large tanks - that seem to be now 'fixed'. I think pick the company you think will be in business in 10 years - or a dealer that you think will back you up if you have a problem. I have no issues with my Redsea tanks - and the customer service has been excellent

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess every tank can potentially have a problem - (brand wise) - I have had a couple large Redsea tanks. Have read a lot about the issues with the large tanks - that seem to be now 'fixed'. I think pick the company you think will be in business in 10 years - or a dealer that you think will back you up if you have a problem. I have no issues with my Redsea tanks - and the customer service has been excellent

As you say you have not had an issue with your tank thank goodness. outside of ordering the tank have you had to deal with RS customer service.

I feel it is far more important to know how good the follow up and warranty service is after the sale.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I went with a off the shelf tank and stand. I prefer to go this way because I want to be able to set it up how I want. Like someone else said, getting all the goodies for your tank is part of the fun.

Why pay $$$$$$$ for a tank that may or may not fail, a stand that may or may not fail, and plumbing that is probably not how you want it, or something that you can only get from x company who made everything.

I just want to be able to set it up and enjoy the tank, but not be in debt for 5 years to pay for it . I would rather put all that money into the inhabitants of the tank.

Just my .02 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back