Status
Not open for further replies.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I went with a off the shelf tank and stand. I prefer to go this way because I want to be able to set it up how I want. Like someone else said, getting all the goodies for your tank is part of the fun.

Why pay $$$$$$$ for a tank that may or may not fail, a stand that may or may not fail, and plumbing that is probably not how you want it, or something that you can only get from x company who made everything.

I just want to be able to set it up and enjoy the tank, but not be in debt for 5 years to pay for it . I would rather put all that money into the inhabitants of the tank.

Just my .02 cents.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As you say you have not had an issue with your tank thank goodness. outside of ordering the tank have you had to deal with RS customer service.

I feel it is far more important to know how good the follow up and warranty service is after the sale.
Yes I have been very impressed with RedSea - had a lengthy discussion (multiple) - about the bracing issue on the XXL tanks - as well as a problem I caused with my other stand (my mistake) - they offered me a new stand at a substantial discount. Of course with Covid - My guess is that all customer service is a bit delayed - due to people working from home - but overall no problem - I would buy another tank tom them in a minute

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally I went with a off the shelf tank and stand. I prefer to go this way because I want to be able to set it up how I want. Like someone else said, getting all the goodies for your tank is part of the fun.

Why pay $$$$$$$ for a tank that may or may not fail, a stand that may or may not fail, and plumbing that is probably not how you want it, or something that you can only get from x company who made everything.

I just want to be able to set it up and enjoy the tank, but not be in debt for 5 years to pay for it . I would rather put all that money into the inhabitants of the tank.

Just my .02 cents.
Curious - what is an 'off the shelf tank?'? (I assume you mean vs a custom made tank/stand?)

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - what is an 'off the shelf tank?'? (I assume you mean vs a custom made tank/stand?)

One that a pet store carries, versus custom made, or big name like RS and wb. Back when I started saltwater fish in the 70 -80's all they had were off the shelf pet store aquariums.
Something I just personally prefer to do, and you can get tank stand combos.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have been very impressed with RedSea - had a lengthy discussion (multiple) - about the bracing issue on the XXL tanks - as well as a problem I caused with my other stand (my mistake) - they offered me a new stand at a substantial discount. Of course with Covid - My guess is that all customer service is a bit delayed - due to people working from home - but overall no problem - I would buy another tank tom them in a minute

Yes, thats whats good to hear.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just my .02 cents.
That’s definitely the cheapest route to go and most rational for sure! Jus pick and choose and the little parts and gadgets and create the masterpiece! How long have you had your tank running ?

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess every tank can potentially have a problem - (brand wise) - I have had a couple large Redsea tanks. Have read a lot about the issues with the large tanks - that seem to be now 'fixed'. I think pick the company you think will be in business in 10 years - or a dealer that you think will back you up if you have a problem. I have no issues with my Redsea tanks - and the customer service has been excellent
Yes it seems this hobby comes with risks in every aspect and nothing is guaranteed the power of salt water! :D If I had to guess I’d say waterbox and RedSea will be I’m business 10 years from now as far as backing me up with a problem that seems like a roll of dice and hoping for the best

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

I am currently looking for a new AIO system. I originally wanted a RedSea tank! I went to my LFS who is an authorized dealer for RedSea showed mea large one they had on display. He told me that they are def the cleanest way to go and are gorgeous tanks. He pointed out a few issues he has with the one in the store and how it has minor leaks on by the rim and salt creep through the edges. I myself did my fair share of research and I ran into several threads about their tanks leaking through seams and silicone not holding well. Several threads on the stands not being able to hold weight and eventually getting crushed. I then ran into Waterbox which my girlfriend is obsessed with. They remind me of RedSea tanks although I haven’t found nearly as many complaints as RedSea. So I decided to visit another LFS that was an authorized dealer for Waterbox. They basically told me that both RedSea and Waterbox is overpriced garbage made in China. I was told that the stands would not support the weight of the tank for long and would fall apart after a few years which is why they don’t offer lifetime warranties on any of their products. I was told Waterbox has only been in business for 2 years and RedSea for 30 years but have only started to make decent tanks for the last 7 years. They suggested I order a custom built tank and stand with a lifetime warranty through one of their wholesalers. I felt like they were very anti Waterbox and RedSea at the same time they had some
Valid points. I can’t really speak from First hand experience on the quality and longevity of Waterbox or RedSea. I can only speculate based off of what I read online. I wanted to hear everyone’s input who actually longtime owners of these products and whether or not custom built is as superior as my LFS claims. Thanks for all
The replies in advance!

Those stands are horribly designed to support weight. I’ve seen some after usage that just look like they’ve been through hell. Your better off just get a stand elsewhere if you go with the Red Sea. As you mentioned onlyhave 2 year warranty so might as well get a good stand the tank.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those stands are horribly designed to support weight. I’ve seen some after usage that just look like they’ve been through hell. Your better off just get a stand elsewhere if you go with the Red Sea. As you mentioned onlyhave 2 year warranty so might as well get a good stand the tank.
Yeah I don’t have much faith in the wooden ones with screws....I’m planning on setting this tank up and never intend on moving it. The tank and stand must live as long as I do;Woot

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don’t have much faith in the wooden ones with screws....I’m planning on setting this tank up and never intend on moving it. The tank and stand must live as long as I do;Woot

Solid wood stands last forever, but not that MDF crap they build those stand out of. Ripping off doors and once water get on it good luck :oops:. Screws and MDF aren't necessarily the best of friends long-term in the least bit.

I would pick a good solid wood stand any day over anything else.

Those Waterbox/Red Sea cabinets are mass produced so yeah they may look good when you first get them, but depending on how you care for that type of material long-term will depend on longevity (but I do feel you're at a disadvantage choosing a stand built using MDF material versus iron/solid wood).

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid wood stands last forever, but not that MDF crap they build those stand out of. Ripping off doors and once water get on it good luck :oops:. Screws and MDF aren't necessarily the best of friends long-term in the least bit.

Those Waterbox/Red Sea cabinets are mass produced so yeah they may look good when you first get them, but depending on how you care for that type of material long-term will depend on longevity (but I do feel you're at a disadvantage choosing a stand built using MDF material versus iron/solid wood).
I’m planning on using a steel frame. Going to weld it up from scratch then use oak or pine wood to make the cabinet doors and make it look visually appealing so my significant other approves and funds half the project :p

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on using a steel frame. Going to weld it up from scratch then use oak or pine wood to make the cabinet doors and make it look visually appealing so my significant other approves and funds half the project :p

Haha my wife after eons finally seems to come around, but with FOWLR tank lol. See say coral tank too much for her, that she doesn’t know what to look at. I say that’s the point.

Told her how much I recently spent on first fish and she didn’t even complain. She just told me what she liked versus not.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha my wife after eons finally seems to come around, but with FOWLR tank lol. See say coral tank too much for her, that she doesn’t know what to look at. I say that’s the point.

Told her how much I recently spent on first fish and she didn’t even complain. She just told me what she liked versus not.
Hahaha! That’s awesome she is at least down for the fish! My gf chooses all the coral for the tanks and god forbid if they’re not doing well I get harassed like “babe what did you do to the coral!” Ummmmm the cleaner shrimp did it!!

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love my waterbox. I have had my 70.3 for about two years. I had a good experience so far. No issues with delivery, stand seems solid but the directions to put it together were a bit tough. I do wish it came with a gate valve and hard plumbing for the return instead of soft tubing. However, for someone like me who was looking for a complete system, it has been great.

Still, if I ever decide on a tank between 180-300gals, I would likely go with planet aquariums. For that much water to be sitting inside my house, I need to be 100% confident about build quality.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Waterbox stand is made of plywood, not MDF. It also has a durable laminate coating on it.

No regrets with my AIO 40.2. I've had it for 20 months.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love my waterbox. I have had my 70.3 for about two years. I had a good experience so far. No issues with delivery, stand seems solid but the directions to put it together were a bit tough. I do wish it came with a gate valve and hard plumbing for the return instead of soft tubing. However, for someone like me who was looking for a complete system, it has been great.

Still, if I ever decide on a tank between 180-300gals, I would likely go with planet aquariums. For that much water to be sitting inside my house, I need to be 100% confident about build quality.
Planet has awesome customizations on their tanks I wish my budget was that high! I am looking at the SCA starfire 150s trying to decide on the internal overflow vs shadow overflow.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Generally I agree with you - but Redsea does not only use MDF - they use Marine Grade Plywood - on their larger stands. BTW - there is one piece that is MDF on one of my stands - which got just slightly wet - and its 'expanded' - so I certainly agree with you. Replacing it (which RedSea does not think is necessary) - would mean taking down the whole tank and stand. etc - which is a major hassle - they fixed this 'problem' in subsequent designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back