LFS Advised me not to purchase Waterbox RedSea

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love my waterbox. I have had my 70.3 for about two years. I had a good experience so far. No issues with delivery, stand seems solid but the directions to put it together were a bit tough. I do wish it came with a gate valve and hard plumbing for the return instead of soft tubing. However, for someone like me who was looking for a complete system, it has been great.

Still, if I ever decide on a tank between 180-300gals, I would likely go with planet aquariums. For that much water to be sitting inside my house, I need to be 100% confident about build quality.

Wise words!

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don’t have much faith in the wooden ones with screws....I’m planning on setting this tank up and never intend on moving it. The tank and stand must live as long as I do;Woot
If this is truly your thought process, go Reef Savvy, Planet, or something custom, and don't look back. It's like buying a car... you get what you pay for. If you're going to keep it forever, pony up & be happy!

PS I've got a RS 170 love it and a DSA 105g (now out of business) and love it, 2 Biocubes, decent tanks & I've owned a WB as well.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is truly your thought process, go Reef Savvy, Planet, or something custom, and don't look back. It's like buying a car... you get what you pay for. If you're going to keep it forever, pony up & be happy!

PS I've got a RS 170 love it and a DSA 105g (now out of business) and love it, 2 Biocubes, decent tanks & I've owned a WB as well.
Yes I really try to avoid any manufacturer problems if I can which is why I don’t buy cars I lease them every 3 years I get a new one some might say I have commitment problems ;Bookworm I was really sold on the SCA 150 but I really reallly liked the customization of planet but not the price:p however now after all the research and bookmarking all my parts just as I was going to pull the trigger my landlord has conveniently decided to sell the place next year....so basically I had to abort and now looking at small 40 breeders as that is what my girlfriend is allowing me to do. Better than nothing I guess:( can’t argue with her ain’t nobody trying to relocate a 150+ gallon tank.

Wheeldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I read your post and immediately thought, gotta be in San Diego. I have a decent feeling I know the 2 shops in question, one that tried to sell us on a Red Sea and the other who’s owner is very vocal and negative about ‘Chinese made crap tanks’ but yet still has them in the back with the rest of their tanks. He really rubs me the wrong way in how he treats his customers, I went in asking if he had specific plumbing parts twice now and both times he puts me down and wants to ‘teach me’ on how to do something. I get it to an extent but when I come in specifically asking if they carry gate valves because I’m setting up a herbie drain and get scolded about how they don’t sell them because they don’t get used correctly and are inferior to ball valves and a duraso system... (funny how 2-3 months later I go in and they now carry them...)

We ended up going with a mode aquarium that we got up at Tongs in OC but haven’t had it long so I can’t comment on Long term for them, we just liked the setup. With that all being said I would look into a water box probably over Red Sea just because I like their look and have seen/read good things about them. All metric plumbing on tanks in the US are a royal pain in the butt I have found but if you use the supplied plumbing then you should be fine. I am difficult and had to convert it all to imperial and custom plumb all my stuff.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I read your post and immediately thought, gotta be in San Diego. I have a decent feeling I know the 2 shops in question, one that tried to sell us on a Red Sea and the other who’s owner is very vocal and negative about ‘Chinese made crap tanks’ but yet still has them in the back with the rest of their tanks. He really rubs me the wrong way in how he treats his customers, I went in asking if he had specific plumbing parts twice now and both times he puts me down and wants to ‘teach me’ on how to do something. I get it to an extent but when I come in specifically asking if they carry gate valves because I’m setting up a herbie drain and get scolded about how they don’t sell them because they don’t get used correctly and are inferior to ball valves and a duraso system... (funny how 2-3 months later I go in and they now carry them...)

We ended up going with a mode aquarium that we got up at Tongs in OC but haven’t had it long so I can’t comment on Long term for them, we just liked the setup. With that all being said I would look into a water box probably over Red Sea just because I like their look and have seen/read good things about them. All metric plumbing on tanks in the US are a royal pain in the butt I have found but if you use the supplied plumbing then you should be fine. I am difficult and had to convert it all to imperial and custom plumb all my stuff.
Yes you have definitely been to the same shop by the sound of it LOL! I got the same vibe as well. Thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated!

Wheeldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you have definitely been to the same shop by the sound of it LOL! I got the same vibe as well. Thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated!

Yup, I’ve had good experience with the other employees there and they have about the best dry goods stock locally, but the owner(I assume he’s the owner) is not a pleasant person. I would assume that 3500 custom quote is from them as well since he is about the only one I know that uses ‘tank adapter’ to describe bulkheads. Good luck with your new tank, for smaller AIO I’ve loved IM, we upgraded from their 10g to our 100g Mode.

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid wood stands last forever, but not that MDF crap they build those stand out of. Ripping off doors and once water get on it good luck :oops:. Screws and MDF aren't necessarily the best of friends long-term in the least bit.

I would pick a good solid wood stand any day over anything else.

Those Waterbox/Red Sea cabinets are mass produced so yeah they may look good when you first get them, but depending on how you care for that type of material long-term will depend on longevity (but I do feel you're at a disadvantage choosing a stand built using MDF material versus iron/solid wood).

I hate MDF. Its heavy and not very durable. It is certainly a terrible choice for any furniture that will be exposed to moisture.

I've built tons of cabinet carcasses out of plywood. If it was a simple rectangular floor space tank, I wouldn't hesitate to build it out of plywood. I would have to think hard about how to support the weight of a tank if it was a big tank but in general, plywood is superior to mdf. And, if you wanted some measure of water resistance or even "water proof", one could easily clear coat vulnerable parts of the stand with epoxy (did it with my cat litter box).

Making a stand out of solid wood is tough. I mean, you can make the skeleton out of solid wood but paneling with sold wood is complex and expensive.

Quiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Red Sea fan, but have you seen the pro clear aquariums. Definitely worth looking at since they are very similar. Beautiful tanks and stands.

TheKylersFire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to break this to you guys but China manufacturing has far surpassed Made in the USA- is that true for every product in the world? No. But they can usually do it better and it’s probably true 9/10 times.

I’ve had my fair issues with my Red Sea tank but it’s heavier duty then other brands like planet aquariums and it definitely seems over built. Yes check all the seams when you get it but for the price it can’t be beat. My brother has a “custom” 125 and I’m shocked how thin the glass is. Maybe 1/4-3/8 inch

I had an elos diamond line and the Red Sea is definitely comparable and superior in some aspects for 60% less in cost.

I would say if you like the Red Sea go for the Red Sea and be diligent in checking every seam and leveling your stand and you will get 10 years out of it. If you can afford it then custom is probably better As long as you get quality not cheap.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re now looking at a 40 breeder, just buy a small Red Sea 170 or waterbox 60.3 used. Save a ton of money since it will be a temp tank. I’ve seen 170’s around here local for as little as $500 with lights and skimmer.

I bought my 179 used, turnkey with Radion, Vortech quantum 120 etc for $900.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered acrylic? If so, Advanced Acrylic is located in Anaheim CA.
I had an acrylic tank before and it would get scratched so easily i want to give glass a shot this time as I’ve never owned a glass tank before.

dbdisok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an acrylic tank before and it would get scratched so easily i want to give glass a shot this time as I’ve never owned a glass tank before.
Understand your reasoning behind your decision. One upside with a scratch in an acrylic aquarium is that it could be buffed out. With a scratch in a glass aquarium you will have to live with it.
You may want to check out the Red Sea Max/Reef Owners Facebook page.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand your reasoning behind your decision. One upside with a scratch in an acrylic aquarium is that it could be buffed out. With a scratch in a glass aquarium you will have to live with it.
You may want to check out the Red Sea Max/Reef Owners Facebook page.
I tried to check it out I think it was a closed group and I had to wait confirmation and it never came lol. I could be mistaking it for waterbox though as I tried to join that group as well

dbdisok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to check it out I think it was a closed group and I had to wait confirmation and it never came lol. I could be mistaking it for waterbox though as I tried to join that group as well
Sorry to hear about the status of the Facebook Page. When I joined I only had to wait a short while to be approved. I don't own a Red Sea aquarium but do use their supplements. The FB group will give you the positives and negatives of the Red Sea Aquariums on their stands.

Best of luck on your aquarium selection.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a RS 425xl (v3 sump) just over a year old. I have no issues with the tank. I take good care of the inside of the stand and have no issues with rusty hinges as some people do. I actually wipe down the inside of stand every so often - more dust then salt creep. I got this tank after getting back into the hobby after 12 years off. I didn’t want to get a custom tank right away so I got this tank and it’s been perfectly fine. As far as parts go my local LFS is one of the biggest RS dealers in the US so parts are never an issue and I’ve never really needed any.

However I will say that RedSea needs to get their social media management under control. Their Private FB page is craptastic and that’s being nice. They do a very poor job of dealing with issues that are brought up in the page - some of the mods work for RS and some don’t and it’s very clear. They constantly play defense and have no clue how to manage rumors or negative posts. They never were able to control the narrative when it came to the ‘paper test’ - really poorly done on their part.

I am now looking at a new tank as I want to go bigger. Here is what I’ve seen and my decision -

I reached out to WB several times and had to leave voice mails and never got a call back. Then when I did get a call back the person could not answer my questions.

Really, Really liked Planet Aquariums but their steel stands are more (35% more) then the tank itself (at least for my 48x30x24) which is just silly.

I reached out to Mode Aquariums twice and never heard back. Once every two weeks for a month. Still never got a call back.

Looked at Cade but have you seen where they put the ATO resivoir? But I did like their sump design a lot.

Lastly - I spoke with 3 local manufacturers and ultimately decided to go with one of them and it will be an acrylic tank with a custom stand that they build and the tank comes with a life time warranty. I spoke to several people who own their tanks and all are happy. The tank will be 48x30x22 will take a few months to build but I’m really looking forward to it.

Last edited:

PurpleMonsterSlayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First any store that sells Red Sea or water box doesn’t really want to sell them the profit margin is really low. But they have them there to bring in customers.
Second I’ve owned both and many others including plants aquarium, IM, Bio cubes, deep blue, aqueon, fluval and some I cannot remember the names of. Out of all these I would only buy a water box or get another custom tank from @Joe Glass Cages.
my rimless tank from Glasscages is the nicest tank I’ve own and as far as customer support you probably wouldn’t find any better.
I would recommend reef savvy since I’ve only heard good things and there tanks look good but there customer support sucks. I’ve been trying to get a quote for over a year from them and finally just gave up

0C476450-E1D6-43BD-90DD-8F1CE3C57E65.jpeg
05462DAF-1635-4CC6-B934-062DA1B06AE1.jpeg

dbdisok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

I am currently looking for a new AIO system. I originally wanted a RedSea tank! I went to my LFS who is an authorized dealer for RedSea showed mea large one they had on display. He told me that they are def the cleanest way to go and are gorgeous tanks. He pointed out a few issues he has with the one in the store and how it has minor leaks on by the rim and salt creep through the edges. I myself did my fair share of research and I ran into several threads about their tanks leaking through seams and silicone not holding well. Several threads on the stands not being able to hold weight and eventually getting crushed. I then ran into Waterbox which my girlfriend is obsessed with. They remind me of RedSea tanks although I haven’t found nearly as many complaints as RedSea. So I decided to visit another LFS that was an authorized dealer for Waterbox. They basically told me that both RedSea and Waterbox is overpriced garbage made in China. I was told that the stands would not support the weight of the tank for long and would fall apart after a few years which is why they don’t offer lifetime warranties on any of their products. I was told Waterbox has only been in business for 2 years and RedSea for 30 years but have only started to make decent tanks for the last 7 years. They suggested I order a custom built tank and stand with a lifetime warranty through one of their wholesalers. I felt like they were very anti Waterbox and RedSea at the same time they had some
Valid points. I can’t really speak from First hand experience on the quality and longevity of Waterbox or RedSea. I can only speculate based off of what I read online. I wanted to hear everyone’s input who actually longtime owners of these products and whether or not custom built is as superior as my LFS claims. Thanks for all
The replies in advance!
So where did you order from?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My WB is extremely nice and I have had two custom made tanks that I don’t think are really any better than my WB.

As for the stands... they are vastly superior to marineland common pine (or particle board) tands that are sold with 10’s of thousands of tanks, and even those cheap stands you rarely, if ever, hear of a 1st hand failure And people have been abusing those stands for decades. Last I heard the WB stands were coated plywood.

dbdisok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RS 425xl (v3 sump) just over a year old. I have no issues with the tank. I take good care of the inside of the stand and have no issues with rusty hinges as some people do. I actually wipe down the inside of stand every so often - more dust then salt creep. I got this tank after getting back into the hobby after 12 years off. I didn’t want to get a custom tank right away so I got this tank and it’s been perfectly fine. As far as parts go my local LFS is one of the biggest RS dealers in the US so parts are never an issue and I’ve never really needed any.

However I will say that RedSea needs to get their social media management under control. Their Private FB page is craptastic and that’s being nice. They do a very poor job of dealing with issues that are brought up in the page - some of the mods work for RS and some don’t and it’s very clear. They constantly play defense and have no clue how to manage rumors or negative posts. They never were able to control the narrative when it came to the ‘paper test’ - really poorly done on their part.

I am now looking at a new tank as I want to go bigger. Here is what I’ve seen and my decision -

I reached out to WB several times and had to leave voice mails and never got a call back. Then when I did get a call back the person could not answer my questions.

Really, Really liked Planet Aquariums but their steel stands are more (35% more) then the tank itself (at least for my 48x30x24) which is just silly.

I reached out to Mode Aquariums twice and never heard back. Once every two weeks for a month. Still never got a call back.

Looked at Cade but have you seen where they put the ATO resivoir? But I did like their sump design a lot.

Lastly - I spoke with 3 local manufacturers and ultimately decided to go with one of them and it will be an acrylic tank with a custom stand that they build and the tank comes with a life time warranty. I spoke to several people who own their tanks and all are happy. The tank will be 48x30x22 will take a few months to build but I’m really looking forward to it.
I’m in So Cal and was wondering who you went with for your aquarium and stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back