LFS Fish “Treatment” & The “Sudden” Need for Quarantine

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mcarroll...

I'll wait on your reply to hear what your LFS does to prevent all disease and sell these great quality disease free fish. I would like to adopt their practices. :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I reply with a bunch of pictures and videos of healthy fish to justify my opinion now? ;) C'mon, @Paul B has that covered.

For what it is worth, my comments are based on five years experience in an all salt store in addition to my hobby experience. The store was in existence for more than a decade before I came onboard. That's lots of tanks, lots of customers, lots of fish orders. I see the problem, as it is presented here, as overhyped...mythologized almost..

If you want to think we were just lucky for the 10 or 20 years that we did not receive every order with velvet (to this day) – that's cool.

You're welcome to PM me to discuss further, but I'll unwatch the thread after this post. ;)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I reply with a bunch of pictures and videos of healthy fish to justify my opinion now? ;) C'mon, @Paul B has that covered.

For what it is worth, my comments are based on five years experience in an all salt store in addition to my hobby experience. The store was in existence for more than a decade before I came onboard. That's lots of tanks, lots of customers, lots of fish orders. I see the problem, as it is presented here, as overhyped...mythologized almost..

If you want to think we were just lucky for the 10 or 20 years that we did not receive every order with velvet (to this day) – that's cool.

You're welcome to PM me to discuss further, but I'll unwatch the thread after this post. ;)

@mcarroll, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your assertion, but could you help us with underlying fundamentals and logic as to why what we described here is either untrue (logistically or factually)? I'm not asking if you agree with the conclusion, but the individual aspects that you disagree with?

I think readers would benefit from understanding how what was said here is incorrect. I am not perfect, perhaps I am incorrect about something, other than my conclusion (which you clearly disagree with -- and that's perfectly fine).

So, for the layman -- how can LFS do these things properly? How aren't the systems being continually reinfected, how do the odds work that thousands of fish in and out without adequate time to properly treat parasites could be MORE favorable (especially now) for the hobbyist? Etc.

Thanks for your time, in advance.

Aquarius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still Quarantine , but fwiw my lfs (1:45’ away from me) Quarantine their fish for for 3 weeks or longer and treat each one. The prices are quite higher there than anywhere else. Their main display tanks are all connected, coral, fish, and inverts... I know this isn't the standard, but I feel happy to have access to this place. I have never seen one single fish that looks unhealthy there. I have never asked to see their Quatrine setup, I'll do that when I visit there again. And if they will let me record it and possibly some procedures, I'll post them. They wouldn't even sell me a maroon clown that I ordered when it came in unless I would sign off on the guarantee. Pruess pets in Lansing Michigan. Great place.

Aquarius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a little digging on pruess, they have over 350 qt tanks in house and they also have a veterinarian on staff. They quarantine ALL their animals. Reptiles, arachnids, mammals, birds, etc. they are really in a class of their own imho.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a little digging on pruess, they have over 350 qt tanks in house and they also have a veterinarian on staff. They quarantine ALL their animals. Reptiles, arachnids, mammals, birds, etc. they are really in a class of their own imho.
That is pretty profound -- I would still never rely on anyone to quarantine what I could do myself to be 100% safe but that's just me

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back