LFS in NTX

Mavric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the reefing hobby. Currently living in Plano and using Exotic Aquatics and Aquatic Design as my go-to for stuff. Curious as to know what other places are out there worth checking out. I've read some other threads mentioning some places in Dallas and FW. Getting ready to stock my tank soon so would love to know the best places with healthiest fish. Thanks!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would see if there's a local Facebook club for your area, you might find more people on there familiar with the area :)

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased fish from dallas north aquarium, Frank's tanks and Midcities aquarium. Also Apex Aquariums but not sure if they are there anymore.

Pretty much every store is going to need the fish treated for flukes and ich. I prefer Franks tanks, he runs many fish through prazi and runs copper in the fish systems. Has some nice frags too.

DNA you can usually see some fish with illness somewhere in the store, they had several batches of flasher wrasses over the spring so I picked up a couple and they ordered a molly Miller blenny for me. A yellowfin flasher is in my display a few months now.
The blenny and a mccoskers wrasse are in quarantine. The wrasse broke with ich and developed a bacterial infection. I have gotten those resolved and am just in an observation period before moving them to the display.

Been a while since I purchased from The other 2 stores.

Definitely plan to quarantine, Frank's does the most treatment I am aware of and hes an awesome guy (whys he gotta be way in southwest FW!)

If you have not already, check out the LFS map at dfwmas.org.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live in Plano then there are several places I like to go to every now and then. Some of the Local fish stores get their fish from the holding facility in Lewisville. I nick named that place "fluke ville". The name says is all, so just QT your fish. The fish are usually healthy from the Sea until they get to these holding facilities.

Aquatic Design - Larry runs copper in some of his systems. Just ask.
Exotic Aquatics
Dallas North Aquarium

You will find a nice variety of fish between the 3 places. You can check Fish Gallery and Odysseys Pets if you like as well. Been a while since I have been to those though.

Shawna Solomon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish gallery is always decently priced to me but don’t have a huge selection on fish. I live in east Texas and it’s about 160 miles so I don’t go often. I like DNA selection of fish but they do always look sick or not as colorful as they should. Oceans Avenue was new to me only been once but they have great selection of corals and some good looking Fish.

Princess Hockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked the same thing on the North Texas Reef Addicts group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/569961613042353/ ) and got the following:
There's a Petco in Allen that has saltwater which used to be well taken care of a few years ago, but I went today and it was a disaster...clearly whoever used to take care of their saltwater area is gone.

My first couple fish came from Exotic Aquatics, I have a brand new tank so haven't had much of a chance to explore the other LFS in the area yet.

Bkimberlin14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dallas North Aquarium has been my go to place since day one. I’ve built a nice rapport with them and they know my tank perfectly. So whenever I go in they know what can and can’t go in it, they won’t sell me something that can’t go in it (they used to sell me anything).

Exotic aquatics is nice too, I stopped going after an employee spun around a fish in the bag so fast that it actually stressed it to the point of killing it.

I’ve never gotten a sick fish from either place (there is sick fish in DT occasionally) . I typically will observe whatever fish I want for at least 5 mins before buying.

Princess Hockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dallas North Aquarium has been my go to place since day one. I’ve built a nice rapport with them and they know my tank perfectly. So whenever I go in they know what can and can’t go in it, they won’t sell me something that can’t go in it

Wow thanks for sharing! I headed there after lunch when I was nearby and was impressed with the selection. Took a lot of restraint walking out without buying something, they had a bunch of corals I wanted. Lots of stuff I haven’t seen in any of the other LFS near me.

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not buy from DNA unless you plan on quarantining. I don't recall a time i have ever walked into their store and have not seen a dead or diseased fish in their tanks. Aquarium Boutique, Fish Gallery and Franks Tanks are all great options

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree^^, I have purchased fish from DNA, but only because they looked in good condition and I knew I would be quarantining with 30 days Copper, Praziquantel treatment followed by observation. Most have made it though quarantine.

Princess Hockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh definitely, I'll quarantine no matter where I purchase from. I read somewhere on one of these boards that all fish in the area go through the same facility in Lewisville or something anyways?

Asked about a coral frag at DNA and got 3 completely different answers from 3 different employees, heh, have the highest respect for employee #4 who told me he didn't know and would get someone who did :p I don't judge a store by individual employees though.

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not go to Fish Gallery or DNA...

I would recommend checking out Ocean Ave in Arlington or Smayda Aquatics join the groups on facebook!

If you are looking online Divers Den/Live Aquaria for fish and Aqua SD for coral!

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this the same owner of Aquastudios in the colony? Link below, at least I thought they were the same. Did anyone chat with the former elos Aquastuido employees on why they sold out or changed hands? That grand opening was such an imressive event and store investment. Thanks
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-O...nthly-Sales-/283354354605?hash=item41f93c53ad
  • "Elos Aquastudios in the colony (I found them to have a rather small selection when I went 3 months ago, but I guess they changed ownership recently".........

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back