LFS staff sold me the wrong fish. Who's to blame, me or that guy?

ShrimpDemolisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had a Pink Spotted Watchman Goby but it was listed as a Diamond Watchman for $30. I told the staff that it did not look exactly like a Diamond. He told me the fish was still young so the colors weren't visible yet, but he swore by god it's a Diamond.

I believed him and bought the fish, only to find out later it's not the Diamond. I called the store and the owner said "We're sorry, just bring the fish in and you'll get the refund".

But I figured this fish still looks cool so I decided to keep him.

When I came back to the store, I told that guy (who sold me the fish) that he's wrong. He just smiled and said "yeah yeah what happened? oh ok blah blah"...

This might sound like I'm being too harsh or splitting hairs, but isn't it rude not to say Sorry or something? I know LFS staff might not know a lot and I get it, but at least admit your fault.

Please tell me I am wrong . this thing just keeps haunting me lol. Can't forget about it.

Last edited:

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be hesitant to ever trust any LFS worker to know everything.

You're not really wrong, but the owner stepped in and made right did he not? I would use it as lesson learned that the "average" LFS worker may not know all that much. But there are many that are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Homework on your end can help you spot either one.

But again, at least the owner is standing behind what he sells.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has happened at my store before. There was a fish given up I believe it was a blue acara cichlid. We just gave it away to someone and whomever gave it away didn't know what the fish was but knew it was a cichlid and told them to be cautious with it and that it might be aggressive. A month later they come in demanding an apology from us because it killed a fish. I tried defusing the situation by saying that there were mistakes on both sides and they interrupted me and said "no it's entirely your stores fault". That really got me and I told them that they should do some research next time they get fish and to have a great day and told them to leave as they were now yelling.

Anyways the point is there is fault on both sides. Sometimes it leans more towards the stores because they should be the one giving you correct info. However at the same time a customer should be doing research on a fish before getting said fish because believe it or not even I make mistakes lol or maybe new information came out. In the instance of my store I would say fault lies more with the customers because they were warned about aggression and were told up front the person didn't know what type of cichlid it was. In your case the lfs was more at fault because he was so adamant about what fish it was and was wrong. However that being said you bought a fish without doing the homework on it (not trying to bash you) its an awkward situation for both sides.

Sorry for the longer post this stuff annoys me to no end

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has happened at my store before. There was a fish given up I believe it was a blue acara cichlid. We just gave it away to someone and whomever gave it away didn't know what the fish was but knew it was a cichlid and told them to be cautious with it and that it might be aggressive. A month later they come in demanding an apology from us because it killed a fish. I tried defusing the situation by saying that there were mistakes on both sides and they interrupted me and said "no it's entirely your stores fault". That really got me and I told them that they should do some research next time they get fish and to have a great day and told them to leave as they were now yelling.

Anyways the point is there is fault on both sides. Sometimes it leans more towards the stores because they should be the one giving you correct info. However at the same time a customer should be doing research on a fish before getting said fish because believe it or not even I make mistakes lol or maybe new information came out. In the instance of my store I would say fault lies more with the customers because they were warned about aggression and were told up front the person didn't know what type of cichlid it was. In your case the lfs was more at fault because he was so adamant about what fish it was and was wrong. However that being said you bought a fish without doing the homework on it (not trying to bash you) its an awkward situation for both sides.

OP
OP
S

ShrimpDemolisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a fish you are happy with.. some people will never admit they where wrong. Don’t loose sleep over it.
I would be hesitant to ever trust any LFS worker to know everything.

You're not really wrong, but the owner stepped in and made right did he not? I would use it as lesson learned that the "average" LFS worker may not know all that much. But there are many that are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Homework on your end can help you spot either one.

But again, at least the owner is standing behind what he sells.

Yes, I know they might not know everything and that's ok, but this guy did not say sorry or admit his fault. He just acted like a normal thing. This bugs me :(

OP
OP
S

ShrimpDemolisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for your post. Sorry that thing happened to you. And yes I guess it's also my fault not to do enough research as well. Next time I will be more careful.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I know they might not know everything and that's ok, but this guy did not say sorry or admit his fault. He just acted like a normal thing. This bugs me :(

Why are you expecting so much from a worker that is likely paid rock bottom wages to scoop fish up and bag them?

I hear what you mean...but I have learned to take anything that a random LFS has to say with a grain of salt. But I have narrowed my LFS shopping to one store that knows far more than me.

Its a lesson learned. Don't let it bug you. I once had my LFS (now gone) tell me that a SeaClone was the best skimmer on the market. Ha!! This was from a guy that was a marine biologist.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the guy could have said he was sorry, as a courtesy.

LFS employees are just people. They can't be expected to know everything, even if they act like they do. In fact, egos run pretty high in this hobby. Anyways, he was probably told it was the fish he said it was. You had a suspicion it wasn't. Go with your instinct next time.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you expecting so much from a worker that is likely paid rock bottom wages to scoop fish up and bag them?

I hear what you mean...but I have learned to take anything that a random LFS has to say with a grain of salt. But I have narrowed my LFS shopping to one store that knows far more than me.

Its a lesson learned. Don't let it bug you. I once had my LFS (now gone) tell me that a SeaClone was the best skimmer on the market. Ha!! This was from a guy that was a marine biologist.
I once went to a lfs and a guy told a customer that a mimic tang was really an angel mimicking a tang and that derasa clams only live 3-4 months because "that's how long they lived in his tank"

rocsec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that there was fault on both sides. I never believe anything someone at the LFS tells me unless I've researched it. Many times I've pulled my phone to double check what I've been told. I believe it is my tanks and I am responsible for what goes in it. At the same time the worker should have basic knowledge and willingness to admit they are wrong. An I'm sorry goes a long way to smooth things out. It never ever hurts to be nice and say I'm sorry.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you knew it wasn't a diamond. If your ordering online is one thing in person it's 100% on you to do your due diligence.

No biggie and not worth the discussion you had with the lfs. They offered to right their wrong which is all you can ask for really. We all make mistakes learn from it and try not to repeat it next time. In the end you got a fish you like for a fair price

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back