Lfs uses copper and hypo- should I also treat?

Gatorj31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m planning to purchase my first pair of clownfish for my new reef tank. I asked the fish store of their qt procedures and they told me their fish systems run cupramine all the time and 1.013 sg. The clowns have been in their system for two months.

I’m still planning to QT, but I’m debating what prophylactic steps I should take. Would you run the fish through copper again? I’m worried about the long term exposure to copper on the health of the fish. I also plan to do doses of metroplex and prazi.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m planning to purchase my first pair of clownfish for my new reef tank. I asked the fish store of their qt procedures and they told me their fish systems run cupramine all the time and 1.013 sg. The clowns have been in their system for two months.

I’m still planning to QT, but I’m debating what prophylactic steps I should take. Would you run the fish through copper again? I’m worried about the long term exposure to copper on the health of the fish. I also plan to do doses of metroplex and prazi.
Be sure to match the salinity of your QT to the low salinity the fish is in do NOT try to acclimate it from 1.013 to normal specific gravity. You can gradually raise the SG over five days or so….
I’d skip the metro, it is much less effective than copper. Clowns rarely get flukes, but prazi won’t hurt.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back