LFS with no online presence wants me to do it for him??

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
takes about 30 minutes to set up a website on shopify, and adding inventory within minutes also, but i was just asking to see what may b best. someone said something abt asponsor?

I might be thinking my old way of building website. LoL.

I think you can apply to R2R vendor sponsor. Not sure how much will that cost.

Ok. Ideas then. I've seen more and more online corals doing auctions. But that way, of course very possible that you are selling the coral for less than it cost. But it will generate more traffic to your website.

WYSIWYG content. The more they are the more attractive it can be.

Show how is the store keeping the corals. If they have a big display tank.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
takes about 30 minutes to set up a website on shopify, and adding inventory within minutes also, but i was just asking to see what may b best. someone said something abt asponsor?
R2r does sponsors.
You could even maybe list things here?(maybe)
I’d do it if I had time.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been to one Lfs in hot springs and it was in an old gas station. Is this the same one? Thought they closed down ages ago.

Guess next time I come near hot springs I'll have to look for this place.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup sponsorship to post is 300 dollars a month, and can only be in your folder. Then you'll need to start with crazy deals that will lose money or break even, to generate word of mouth and acceptance as a viable business. Beginning is super tricky because if you mess up a bit it's tough to climb back out. Just laying down the facts, and good luck, study that plan hard, and continue checking whether it's viable in this market. Oh and start making real connections with the big distributors because you don't want a middleman taking the dough.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk i think i'd look at it as an apprenticeship....you may not make any money but hopefully you'll learn the business, importers, contacts etc...and where else can you get that?....if it doesnt work out you just walk away with no money invested and a couple tanks full of coral...hopefully it will help you figure out if your big picture plan is feasible

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna start this off by saying sorry i wasnt to sure which forum to post this under, but recently the owner of Marine world, in hot springs, AR. Asked me about the presence of online sales, seeing as this man is 74 years old he dosent have much of a grasp with techology. though a biologist among other things running one of the oldest fish stores in america. I have recently found myself shopping at his store a lot because its the only LFS besides petco, lol, within 30 minutes of me and honestly i have no need to drive 30 minutes as i have everything i need there and his store is 4 blocks down the road from my house, and roughly a mile and a half from a fed ex(important for later) i have found hidden gems as they say and also plenty of nice and consistent deals at his shop.
anywho him, his wife who works there with him. and a hired helper take care of customers and the tanks there on a day to day basis and have no time to learn online things and wouldnt know where to start.
me being the aspiring 21 year old reefer dreaming of owning a smaller to midsize coral farm one day, lit up when he asked me about the possibility boxing, labeling, and shipping coral out for him as they dont have the time. they would cover the costs for labels and such, and i wouldnt partake in profit from sales. but in return ill be given pieces for my own tanks per my request :) which id have any day of the week over money for it. Im just asking if anybody would like to comment on maybe how i should go about doing this? any tips? would people be interisted in it? thank you so much for your time.

1: be sure to know and understand all laws regarding shipping things especially anything live in your state and any state you ship to. ( In my case I live in Hawaii, and it is illegal to buy sell ship and own any corals and illegal for anything live to be shipped in and both the person who shipped the package and those who bought will face fines and possible criminal charges when caught)

2: have a written and signed contract stating that they are responsible for any damage, monetary loss, or legal fines or processes that may arise and that you are in no way responsible. It also needs to state that you are to be paid for your labor by your choice of coral in an equivalent price to your work. Print 2 dated copies and they need to be signed by both you, the owner, and the owners wife one copy for you and one copy for them

3: be sure that you keep a detailed log of the times and dates and hours that you work

4: make sure you do not put your name on any post, shipping label, or package. You need to have a account in the stores name with the owners name and info linked to the account for wherever you sell, and they need to set the password and give that password to you so they can in no way claim that you are responsible for anything you do for them

Hope that helps I know its exciting to think of the corals you get out of this but you also need to protect yourself legally and do it in a smart and safe way

Back