LFS

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was giving a friend a ride down to Peekskill and did a quick Google search to see if there were any fish stores nearby.

I found a store called The Zoo.

I talked with the owner for a while. Like most small businesses he was hit hard by this
crisis. He is just getting back on his feet again.

Full disclaimer, his tanks were a mess and he had very little livestock, but he was a true
hobbyist. A few months ago at a LFS in Fishkill I asked if I could by one red mushroom (discosoma). The guy wanted $30 and you could barely see it with a magnifying glass.

At the Zoo I asked if he would chisel off the same mushroom and he obliged. He sold me 3 for $15.

He said shipping costs are killing him and he may move away from corals and just stick with fish. He said he would be happy to order any particular fish that I am looking for. I bought his last Watchman Goby for half what other stores are asking.

I’d like to bring him some soft coral frags in the future to help him get back on his feet and add some variety to his inventory.

I got a good vibe from Z the owner. I hope he weathers this storm.
Finding a local fish store is getting much harder, and more expensive these days.

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to live in Peekskill many years ago and often went in there. Glad to see it's still around, but sad to hear he is struggling. I bought a chameleon from him back when I was keeping them. You never knew what you were going to find in there.

OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes something was going on in the back of the store. I thought it was birds, but it could have been reptiles. They had a large freshwater section, but I stayed in the two aisles of saltwater.

NYreefNOOB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was giving a friend a ride down to Peekskill and did a quick Google search to see if there were any fish stores nearby.

I found a store called The Zoo.

I talked with the owner for a while. Like most small businesses he was hit hard by this
crisis. He is just getting back on his feet again.

Full disclaimer, his tanks were a mess and he had very little livestock, but he was a true
hobbyist. A few months ago at a LFS in Fishkill I asked if I could by one red mushroom (discosoma). The guy wanted $30 and you could barely see it with a magnifying glass.

At the Zoo I asked if he would chisel off the same mushroom and he obliged. He sold me 3 for $15.

He said shipping costs are killing him and he may move away from corals and just stick with fish. He said he would be happy to order any particular fish that I am looking for. I bought his last Watchman Goby for half what other stores are asking.

I’d like to bring him some soft coral frags in the future to help him get back on his feet and add some variety to his inventory.

I got a good vibe from Z the owner. I hope he weathers this storm.
Finding a local fish store is getting much harder, and more expensive these days.
Z is the owner of the store, he worked for a decade plus of the prior owner. really great guy with great pricing. his dad is there a lot to help him as well. i really tried to give as much business to him as i could.... grear pricing on frozen food as well... if you guys do stop by tell him rick from toyota sent you.... his selections arent always huge but great pricing

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he have any snails in stock when you went. They are getting hard to find.

OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Solutions 101 had a good supply of snails last week.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back