Lid Fell In and Chipped Inside of Tank Glass

machtuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday while installing my new skimmer I knocked one half of my crappy glass "lid" into the tank. Anyone with an Aquatop 40 knows how it's a balancing act for these lids. I made the noob mistake of not removing it while doing maintenance. I paid the price, as upon tank inspection this morning I found a 1/16th inch chip on the inside of the tank. Pictures are attached; it resembles that of a rock chip on a car's windshield. I'm a relatively new reefer...is this a tank emergency? Is this fixable? I do not have a good feeling about this, and I'm definitely angry as I just got the tank running as I want with some great equipment.

20210730_114506.jpg 20210730_114348.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's really no right answer. It may be fine forever. It may explode while you're sleeping tonight.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything's fine... until it isn't. I'm extraordinarily paranoid, so I'd replace it. But it also could be fine for years. If you need time to save for a new setup, keep a very close eye on it and watch for any spidering. And hope. Not much else to do in the meantime.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned, you should consider keeping a clean bucket and some water nearby that you can quickly put the fish, etc in if there is a sudden break.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back