Life expectancy of super male Lineatus Wrasse

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone shutting down the tank and looking to sell his super male Lineatus Wrasse (4" or 10 cm) for a decent price. From my research, it seems super male fairy wrasses do not live long because they are older wrasses.

Has anyone have a super male Lineatus Wrasse that live more than 5 years after it becomes super male? Please let me know the life expectancy of your super male wrasse.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know someone shutting down the tank and looking to sell his super male Lineatus Wrasse (4" or 10 cm) for a decent price. From my research, it seems super male fairy wrasses do not live long because they are older wrasses.

Has anyone have a super male Lineatus Wrasse that live more than 5 years after it becomes super male? Please let me know the life expectancy of your super male wrasse.
Overall expectancy will generally be based on environment (water quality, low stress), diet, and overall husbandry

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Generally I’d expect 1-2 years at max out of a supermale depending on its size. If it’s max size then that’s when you’ll have a shorter lifespan from it.
It’s best to get these wrasses as females as you’ll likely have them for their whole lifespan.

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I’d expect 1-2 years at max out of a supermale depending on its size. If it’s max size then that’s when you’ll have a shorter lifespan from it.
It’s best to get these wrasses as females as you’ll likely have them for their whole lifespan.
Max is about 5", it is currently at 4" so I think I will not have much time with the wrasse. I will pass on this deal.

Thanks

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

if I was to have a single female in the tank, would it transition to male then super male?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I was to have a single female in the tank, would it transition to male then super male?
Actually, there is no such thing as a supermale wrasse. The term ‘Supermale’ is a term used by sellers trying to sell an older, fully coloured up terminal male for more money. It’s like selling a completely healthy tang against a tang with injuries. You’d go for the tang that’s healthy more than the one with injuries and it’s likely for that you’d pay the extra money.

So, what I’m saying here is a lone female will always transition to a supermale. All fairy wrasses eventually transition to a terminal male (a male phase that they can’t revert from, transitional males may be able to revert if given a reason to). And if given a healthy, very nutritional diet then they can easily colour up to their full potential. The reason we rarely see ‘Supermale’ Paracheilinus species is due to them always being totally coloured up as they always display and show that need to retain colouring. Which is another way to get fully coloured up male Cirrhilabrus species - by mixing males of different species. If wrasses get given a reason to display their full colours, for example to establish and keep their place in the hierarchy, then they’re likely to not revert.

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, there is no such thing as a supermale wrasse. The term ‘Supermale’ is a term used by sellers trying to sell an older, fully coloured up terminal male for more money. It’s like selling a completely healthy tang against a tang with injuries. You’d go for the tang that’s healthy more than the one with injuries and it’s likely for that you’d pay the extra money.

So, what I’m saying here is a lone female will always transition to a supermale. All fairy wrasses eventually transition to a terminal male (a male phase that they can’t revert from, transitional males may be able to revert if given a reason to). And if given a healthy, very nutritional diet then they can easily colour up to their full potential. The reason we rarely see ‘Supermale’ Paracheilinus species is due to them always being totally coloured up as they always display and show that need to retain colouring. Which is another way to get fully coloured up male Cirrhilabrus species - by mixing males of different species. If wrasses get given a reason to display their full colours, for example to establish and keep their place in the hierarchy, then they’re likely to not revert.
Got it! Great information.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this Male from my buddy. He is about 2 years old now and seems to be healthy and happy. One of my favorite and hopefully will be with us for awhile!
If it is decent price then I would go for it.

Attachments

• 20221111_085246.mp4
    3.7 MB
OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this Male from my buddy. He is about 2 years old now and seems to be healthy and happy. One of my favorite and hopefully will be with us for awhile!
If it is decent price then I would go for it.
From the video, is your beautiful Lineatus wrasse about 3"?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone have a super male Lineatus Wrasse that live more than 5 years after it becomes super male?
By other fairies, I would think the total lifespan would be in the range of 5 years. I would be amazed by a terminal male living that long.

I have not kept C. lineatus.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back