Life is not busy enough, I needed a saltwater tank too!

AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

Sorry, I didn't exactly start this from the beginning, so I'll try to make walk through the steps.

I wanted something new out of my tanks after having freshwater for some time.

I read a few thousand posts, watched hundreds of hours of videos and decided that winging it would have been way more fun.

Started by reinforcing the floor in an old house, installed some GFI outlets and prepped my wife for another tank.

Started small with a 90 that a LFS had in stock. Fit perfectly on an amish made TV stand I had laying around.
Side discussion - how can anyone trust those tiny wood (almost IKEA like) stands with over 1k lbs?

Grabbed a few lbs of sand on sale, a 100 lbs of Marco Rock and started assembling. Took a couple of weeks of sawing, chipping and gluing (epoxy and super) but it came together.

qH0ohYFGRAy-wNCof0a_RQ.jpg

After some cycling I added a couple clowns (now officially a couple) and eventually some cleanup.

ki1IJ6_xQiO8-eOiBmDb3Q.jpg

As the TV stand has no sump I started with a Tidal 110 HOB filter. I am already familiar with their style and they work great. Personally I have added water noise to other tanks for tranquility and love the water noise.

Through on a Nicor 150w and let the new tank begin.

Initial diatoms were not too bad. Followed by the thinnest coat of green that almost appeared like spray paint.

Later addition of extra clean up crew started nocking the green into balance.

Some corals were added from a local charity swap meet and we are off to the day to day.

Had a little of this
TfTmd31NR0aDQMry3AN4bg.jpg

Cleaned that plug 3 times (hadn't rehomed it yet) Now the hermits keep it spotless.

Have some of this now
rbhGwsCITkO_AWhjKsQmfQ.jpg

Cleaned that and mistakenly thought peppermint shrimp would be fun.

Now I have this problem.
qRK6XApYTqKPXKvbfT0IrA.jpg

Was encrusting nicely on an island rock until this pink stuff caused the cleaners to break it off and flip it over. Anyone know what that is?

Anyways, that's probably enough for now. I'll see about some regular update photos.

Back