Life rock and adding salt after filling tank

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using the Carib sea life rock can you fill the tank with fresh water and then add the salt or do you have to mix the correct level salt before adding the water to keep from killing the base bacteria that comes on their rock?
"LifeRock™ is infused with bacteria using AragAlive™ technology"
Just talking about the initial filling of water.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using the Carib sea life rock can you fill the tank with fresh water and then add the salt or do you have to mix the correct level salt before adding the water to keep from killing the base bacteria that comes on their rock?
"LifeRock™ is infused with bacteria using AragAlive™ technology"
Just talking about the initial filling of water.
Hard to say for absolute certain since I don't think anyone (except CaribSea) really know what exact species are seeded on the Life Rock. Generally though, marine nitrifiers are quite capable of surviving varying saline conditions, so it should be safe to add water first, then add salt. You'll probably have a small period of time of hyposalinity, but once the salt is in, it should dissolve fast enough to at least let your water reach a reasonable salinity for the microbes.

Not to mention that these microbes are supposedly dormant anyways and may only respond to 'good' environmental conditions, so there is also that.

So yeah, I'd personally go for it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back