Lifegard 4.1 pico tank

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, Twice.

Sam looked at me like I had a horn growing out my head.
Lol I did also say it out loud. Alone in project trailer to myself haha. For sure legit Unicorn status haha.
Sounds better than Brangina and right there with Bennifer if not better:D

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One word....

Breldon
Sauce is on fire today!
22plkIJv_400x400.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made the decision that I *hate* doing water changes -- even from one tank to the other.

I think with pulling the acros out of this tank I'm going to swing from full moonshiner method to a modified method over here. I'm going to start running AFR on this tank to ensure ca/alk are maintained - even if that means a dosage of .25 a day (site recommends .5 for my estimated water content - but I won't have as needy of things in the tank). We'll figure it out. AFR contains pretty much everything, so I'll probably just supplement with the rubidium from moonshine and test every few months to see if I need any corrections with other elements.

My only real concern is nutrient export if I'm not changing any water over here. I have no skimmer or socks - just a tiny filter pad I change out every few days. Not sure if I can find a skimmer small enough - I know there's a company that makes a small external one but I don't have a lot of shelf space nearby to run tubing/etc either. Brainstorming...

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little guy showed up today. Not sure the best spot to put him so on the ground he goes for now. Sounds like a Saturday project.

Also got 2 zoas for over here and an rfa

PXL_20210624_160224188~2.jpg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made the decision that I *hate* doing water changes -- even from one tank to the other.

I think with pulling the acros out of this tank I'm going to swing from full moonshiner method to a modified method over here. I'm going to start running AFR on this tank to ensure ca/alk are maintained - even if that means a dosage of .25 a day (site recommends .5 for my estimated water content - but I won't have as needy of things in the tank). We'll figure it out. AFR contains pretty much everything, so I'll probably just supplement with the rubidium from moonshine and test every few months to see if I need any corrections with other elements.

My only real concern is nutrient export if I'm not changing any water over here. I have no skimmer or socks - just a tiny filter pad I change out every few days. Not sure if I can find a skimmer small enough - I know there's a company that makes a small external one but I don't have a lot of shelf space nearby to run tubing/etc either. Brainstorming...
I like your approach. Keep an eye on alk. Softy dominant systems can and will use 1-3 dkh a day depending on load and type.
If it was me in that little tank I'd do 10-20% water change every week to replenish trace elements and take out the nasties. Something about fresh water my shrooms love.
This will also be my approach from here.
I'll be dosing alk primarily. But I will hit my system with AFR in between when coraline starts growing and cal needs dosing.
Also going to be sending in a cpl tests to see where trace sits on that regimen.

BTW nice shroom:D
It will tell you where it wants to be. That cap will stand up and lay flat out when its happy.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your approach. Keep an eye on alk. Softy dominant systems can and will use 1-3 dkh a day depending on load and type.
If it was me in that little tank I'd do 10-20% water change every week to replenish trace elements and take out the nasties. Something about fresh water my shrooms love.
This will also be my approach from here.
I'll be dosing alk primarily. But I will hit my system with AFR in between when coraline starts growing and cal needs dosing.
Also going to be sending in a cpl tests to see where trace sits on that regimen
Yeah, I was doing a nearly 100% change with water from the big tank to get all the moonshine goodies, but 10-20% sounds a lot more doable. Plus afr for consistency. Easier for me too. I plan to do a change Saturday, test. Then test Sunday to see where I'm at vs Saturday and go from there.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was doing a nearly 100% change with water from the big tank to get all the moonshine goodies, but 10-20% sounds a lot more doable. Plus afr for consistency. Easier for me too. I plan to do a change Saturday, test. Then test Sunday to see where I'm at vs Saturday and go from there.
Idk what it is about fresh water changes and my shrooms. I can tell you they consume and poop alot! Prior to my upgrade I thoroughly cleaned my tables. A week later after I swapped system the entire bottom was covered in poop again.
The ati test should tell me what trace they are consuming the most and if I need to concentrate on any one thing to correct.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the lights down over here a tiny bit on Thursday. The purpley fluffy mystery mushroom I have seems to be very happy with that decision. The others could care less either way. Newbie still super fluffy on his disc, no signs of movement yet.

I have a recheck in an hour on my eyes, then plan to come home and start doing some tank stuff.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back