Lifegard Aquatics 7.4g Pico Build "The Burry"

Karl Sanders

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Pretty sure the fix is to plug the drain and ensure the return flow is low... Which means you'll need one or two power heads in the display
My tank came with a drain plug that allowed a bit of drain flow and a plug that just stopped up the hole. Once I just used the plug, everything works fine. I have no idea what the plug that allows it to drain is for. I wish it was mentioned and explained on the Lifeguard website.

Click to watch best scape method in 5 easy steps!
OP
eag

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Once I just used the plug, everything works fine. I have no idea what the plug that allows it to drain is for.

I think the tank was not originally designed with a bottom hole... It seems like it was added later in response to the fact that the throughput on the overflow is too low. The only way to run a return pump with higher throughput is to let some water in through the bottom hole in addition to the overflow... However, people who take this route will learn over time that it turns into a nightmare for maintaining salinity stability and that they're better off with a low flow return and no drain.

OP
eag

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
However, people who take this route will learn over time that it turns into a nightmare for maintaining salinity stability and that they're better off with a low flow return and no drain.

If you don't run any kind of filtering in the first back chamber, _maybe_ you could get away with it ... But I haven't tried.

Karl Sanders

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I see what you mean. I'm using the stock return pump but I have a Nero 3 wavemaker for flow and the two combined are working in perfect concert.
The other thing I thought the drain could be intended for is a fresh water planted tank with mangroves. I've seen examples of those setups where the water level varies and doesn't seem that important. Most of the established Lifeguard tank images I have seen when searching, is freshwater.

OP
eag

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm using the stock return pump but I have a Nero 3 wavemaker for flow and the two combined are working in perfect concert.

Nice :) should be ok then! I started with a Sicce return but even when fully restricted the flow was too high for just the overflow alone ... Had to fall back to the weaker stock return.

The other thing I thought the drain could be intended for is a fresh water planted tank with mangroves. I've seen examples of those setups where the water level varies and doesn't seem that important. Most of the established Lifeguard tank images I have seen when searching, is freshwater.

Oh huh ... That is interesting! Maybe ...? I don't know much about that stuff.

The bottom drain was attractive to me at first because I'd hoped it could help clear heavier debris from the bottom of the tank ... It never really did that effectively either though :)

Karl Sanders

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Here is my setup.
20210725_200247.jpg

Karl Sanders

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Nice. I wound up buying the InTank media basket for the first chamber found here:

I would still like to get something slightly springy to plug the bottom hole you have had issues with. Something like a runner O-Ring to really plug the hole. Or a rubber “cork” that would plug in there and stay.

We have added a Tunze nano Ozmolator for evaporation. We also bought 2 Kamoer Nono-dosers from BRS since we have some LPS a and SPS. I’m waiting for the little acrylic storage vessels for alk and calcium to add them to the system.

I am tempted to add another smallish tank behind the DT with a HOB an overflow and small pump so that we can add a skimmer and refugium and just have a little more real estate for doodads and gadgets. The 2” depth of the filter chamber is certainly a challenge to work with.

Good luck with your tank and thanks for your insight! Hope you don’t have to get rid of it, but I understand if you do :)
The Aquamaxx Bullet-1 fits in the back filter of this tank. It's the only one I could find that would fit but it seems to be working very well.

Pacific East