Lifegard UV quartz sleeve O.D. running change?

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having some issues with my recently purchased 90w 3” unit I recently acquired from champion lighting.

I needed a new quartz sleeve so I ordered what appeared to be a match for the 90w u it. However, upon installation the OD was larger than the original which would not allow the dual threaded viewport to slide over the quartz sleeve. It was noticeably tighter than the original which eventually caused it to Crack.

It appears Lifegard has made a change to their quartz sleeve outer diameter (larger). Upon looking at their site, they list two sleeves: one pre April 2019 and it looks like one for post April 2019 Manufacture date.

Lifegard HQ in CA emailed me stating they were out of the post April 2019 units as of today. Sylvia asked for my order info and serial # on the unit to determine manufacture date.

Has anyone dealt with this issue with Lifegard UV‘s?

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this change myself. The old units take different sleeves.

My suggestion is to use the new sleeves plus the upgrade kit that lets you use the new sleeves. The upgrade kit also lets you remove the bulb while water is in the unit which is nice. I am always worried about overtightening the sleeve and cracking it so I like to lightly tighten the sleeve and then make sure it is not leaking before I put the bulb in. With the original units, you couldn't do this. The bulb and sleeve have to go in at once.

We just got the upgrade kits in and they aren't on our website yet. I will post a link as soon as they are available for anyone else looking for them. You can PM me if you need one quick.

OP
OP
TX_Punisher

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It sounds like what I received was an old unit? Thoughts?

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It sounds like what I received was an old unit? Thoughts?
The old units are fine except they don't have the endcap that lets them accept the new sleeve. everything else is the same. The new endcap is $10 and will let you accept the new sleeves so I would just upgrade to the new endcap and start using the new sleeves. That is what I just did.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the link to the replacement end cap for anyone else who has an old Promax unit and wants to use he new sleeves.

OP
OP
TX_Punisher

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has the black cap like the link above but would not take a new sleeve I got the other day. The new sleeve was too big to fit through the viewport.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having some issues with my recently purchased 90w 3” unit I recently acquired from champion lighting.

I needed a new quartz sleeve so I ordered what appeared to be a match for the 90w u it. However, upon installation the OD was larger than the original which would not allow the dual threaded viewport to slide over the quartz sleeve. It was noticeably tighter than the original which eventually caused it to Crack.

It appears Lifegard has made a change to their quartz sleeve outer diameter (larger). Upon looking at their site, they list two sleeves: one pre April 2019 and it looks like one for post April 2019 Manufacture date.

Lifegard HQ in CA emailed me stating they were out of the post April 2019 units as of today. Sylvia asked for my order info and serial # on the unit to determine manufacture date.

Has anyone dealt with this issue with Lifegard UV‘s?
I have had one for several years. I will say that replacement parts can be hard to come by, could be supply chain issues. I do recommend keeping a spare bulb, sleeve, and seal kit on hand as when you need them they may not be available. I got mine through @MarineandReef Jaron and they typically have the most stock. I do know that seal can be pretty tight. I placed mine in a cup of super hot water for a minute which made it easier.

OP
OP
TX_Punisher

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this the newest design?

image.jpg

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only sleeves we carry are the new ones. We decided rather than carry both sleeves we are just going to carry the new ones and anyone with the old units can get the $10 adapter which lets them get the new sleeves and upgrades the unit so you can remove the lamp while water is in the unit.

I think OP may have gotten an old sleeve when he has a new unit. It isn't worth going back to the old version so I would return the old sleeve and get a new one that will seal.

OP
OP
TX_Punisher

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a pain to get this thing going. It would have been nice to know for a first time lifegard user to know there was a running change (maybe in the install directions) but I know now. I just ordered from marine and reef (big help) and hopefully this will get me going. The unit seems solid for sure.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only sleeves we carry are the new ones. We decided rather than carry both sleeves we are just going to carry the new ones and anyone with the old units can get the $10 adapter which lets them get the new sleeves and upgrades the unit so you can remove the lamp while water is in the unit.

I think OP may have gotten an old sleeve when he has a new unit. It isn't worth going back to the old version so I would return the old sleeve and get a new one that will seal.
That’s what it sounds like. I was under the impression that he said that lifeguard is out of the new sleeves is why I mentioned it

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a pain to get this thing going. It would have been nice to know for a first time lifegard user to know there was a running change (maybe in the install directions) but I know now. I just ordered from marine and reef (big help) and hopefully this will get me going. The unit seems solid for sure.
Awesome! I’ve always been happy with @MarineandReef Jaron

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good thing about lifegard is they have been making UVs since 1973 and you can still get parts for those units. They have had rolling changes but they have always offered a way to upgrade to the new changes.

OP
OP
TX_Punisher

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what it sounds like. I was under the impression that he said that lifeguard is out of the new sleeves is why I mentioned it

this is what I was told by Sylvia? at Lifegard on the phone Monday. They even cancelled my order. Thankfully I checked the link they sent after my purchase. There the next day I saw my order was cancelled. She said they were expecting them soon.

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the newest design the original ones did not have the black nut on the inside and they took different sleeves.
I know this thread is older but are we saying the newest model has a black nut on the view port and they increased the diameter of the quartz sleeve? If so I have the newer model but the sleeve is still too big. Contacted lifegard in any case since I can’t complete the install.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is older but are we saying the newest model has a black nut on the view port and they increased the diameter of the quartz sleeve? If so I have the newer model but the sleeve is still too big. Contacted lifegard in any case since I can’t complete the install.
The sleeve is the same size but some of the endcaps were molded wrong on a batch a while ago. lifegard should send you a new endcap.

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sleeve is the same size but some of the endcaps were molded wrong on a batch a while ago. lifegard should send you a new endcap.
Awesome thanks! They are sending a replacement. With the cap change I was hoping it was just defective if they were sending the same one; was hoping they weren't sending a new one thinking I had the old one.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back