Lifespan of Biota Captive Bred Rainford Goby?

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've scoured the internet looking for some information on the life expectancy of rainford gobies to no avail, so I figured I'd post here and see if people who have owned them have a general consensus. I have a captive-bred rainford from Biota that I got in January of 2017. He's by far the largest rainford goby I've ever seen compared to any I've seen in person at the LFS's or in others' tanks, and he arrived to me at nearly the size he is now so I'm guessing he had to be at least a year-ish old when I received him. So if I had to guess, he's at least around 5 years old. He's always eaten like a champ and been out and about sifting sand around the tank, but as of late he just looks a little poorly...resting on the sand, lost quite a bit of color in his dorsal fin, part of his tail on the bottom is missing and it looks like he drags it when he's out moving. None of his tank mates are behaving aggressively towards him from what I've observed to make me think he's stressed or getting chased/attacked to the point of exhaustion. I'm just wondering if this is the end and he's an older gentleman on his way out, or if he's still young for his species and I should start trying to figure out if there is something wrong with him.

For those of you that have/had them (in general, but particularly the captive bred ones), how long did your rainford live for?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the missing but of its tail, it’s not impossible that there is some aggression. Based on most of the behavior, though, it sounds more like it’s lived its life. Most gobies have around a 5 year lifespan.

OP
OP
WarEaglesReef

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the missing but of its tail, it’s not impossible that there is some aggression. Based on most of the behavior, though, it sounds more like it’s lived its life. Most gobies have around a 5 year lifespan.
Yeah, I originally thought it was aggression. I just recently removed a male lyretail anthia a few weeks ago who was causing aggression issues beating up my tangs. But this tail issue is more recent in the last few days. My only guess is that based on when it happened, he had to have gotten too close to my clownfish pair, which are currently guarding a large clutch of eggs. They're not usually aggressive, but I've seen the female do what she needs to do to get fish off her lawn when she's got babies to watch.

For the most part though he just seems to be winding down. Not as active, not as colorful.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly of old age is the best way for a fish to go. When I lose a fish to old age, I'm never too upset, because I know I gave them a full life and they went out peacefully. So kudos to your great goby care! :)

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back