Light and placement of new zoas

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,
I have a jbj 28 gallon aio with 27 watts leds 1 watt actinic. Ammonia, nitrite and phosphates 0 while nitrates low at 5-10. Calcium at 440 and kh 6-7 and i dose w seachem 1 and 2, target feed w phyto and brightwell. I always dip new zoas w coral rx and acclimate low then move higher. Anyway ive been quite successful keeping easy zoas like bam bam, rastas, and palys devils armor. Now im getting some higher end zoas/palys and wanted ur input on lighting (high, med, low--considering my lower wattage) and flow. Ive bleached ppe agaves in the past and have stayed away from the more expensive zoas.
So here are the new zoas/palys:

1) utter chaos
2) space monster palys
3) lunar eclipse
4) sunnys ds
5) rainbow incinerators
6) cornbread rainbow infusions
7) goochsters

Thx ahead of time for your advise and sry this was so long.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always start in the sand bed and work my way up. Too much light kills much faster than too little. I have space monsters, lunar eclipse and sunny D's; all seem to do well in any range of light. Idk if I would consider rastas easy to keep so if they're doing good then you should be fine.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, of the three u mentioned codyrva, where did they look best? With more or less light? Yeah rastas were initially finicky until i realized they looked better med/high light and low flow. Higher flow kept the polyps closed, same with fruit loops. Then i noticed blue hornet loved the flow similar to my devils armor and fire and ice.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lagoon tank thats 16 inches tall, so the PAR range is very small. I have the sunny D's on the sand bed, but i've had them all over and they seem to just grow like weeds. Lunar eclipse are mid, doing well with moderate flow. Space monsters seem to enjoy higher light with moderate flow as well. I put the monsters on the sand and they stretched, but it was a safe indicator to move them and they responded accordingly.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, its hard to figure out sometimes as some ppl say put them high or in indirect light. Like the space monsters i heard most say keep them low for the best color then others say the opposite. Lol thx for the input, ill go low as usual then after a couple weeks start moving them up.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, its hard to figure out sometimes as some ppl say put them high or in indirect light. Like the space monsters i heard most say keep them low for the best color then others say the opposite. Lol thx for the input, ill go low as usual then after a couple weeks start moving them up.

Very true, thats why i always start low, if they stretch, i move them up. My fire and ice get high flow and light and seem to love it. Keep in mind zoas and palys may be acclimated over time, some... My bam bams hated high light, now they're finally coming around after beefing up my lights and seem to be thriving.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ur bam bam hated high light initially? Mine loved it off the bat, but i moved it to mid cause i noticed the red are deeper and less flat at high light. Same w fruit loops, took to medium light but the colors look more distinct at lower light--those are the most finicky zoas and they grow so slllllooooww.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back