light coloration near the tail on orchid dottyback

reeferdugong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys, my orchid dottyback has been in the QT for 2 weeks and i notice a slight light coloration near its tail.
3EA49FF4-0187-49CD-BAD8-648DD220AF16.jpeg
He was very shy in the first week and hid all the time so theres no way i could observe it. It got a little braver on the second week though, but it’s very hard to see clearly as it swims too fast.

i took a video:

Is it possible that its some kind of bacterial infection? it’s eating well, nothing out of the ordinary.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you medicating with anything? I seem to see some missing fin rays on the top of the caudal fin, any other fish in with it that could have caused an injury? The whiteness does possibly indicate a secondary bacterial infection...a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic might be something to consider: Neoplex, Furan-2, etc.
Jay

OP
OP
reeferdugong

reeferdugong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No im not medicating it yet. It’s the only fish in the QT right now. In the LFS, it was housed in the same tank as 1 midas and 2 mandarin fish.

I thought the tail looks weird too, but every google picture seems to show the same type of pattern (the upper tail is always transparent).
CBEBC51C-92E9-4803-9EEF-7D3BFD8423ED.jpeg

Okay i think i’ll medicate him with anti bacterial medication. Thanks Jay!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back