Light colored spots on purple tang?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out what these lighter colored spots are on my purple tang:
20210226_113827.jpg

I haven't seen any white spots, like ick, just these random spots with less coloration.
The only thing I can find that comes close are hlle.
Any suggestions?

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of a diagnosis picture, but flukes maybe?
Hard to get a good picture. I can't really see the areas, when I look directly at the sides.
I haven't seen any wierd behavior, like scratching, twitching, loss of appetite etc.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the link below my name, it gives some of the information we need to try and figure out what's going on with your tang.

There is definitely a localized skin reaction going on, probably due to some parasite. Could be flukes, but most likely it is either ich, or a mucus thing that tangs get when they are stressed. I talk about that here:

Jay

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the link below my name, it gives some of the information we need to try and figure out what's going on with your tang.

There is definitely a localized skin reaction going on, probably due to some parasite. Could be flukes, but most likely it is either ich, or a mucus thing that tangs get when they are stressed. I talk about that here:

Jay
I read the article. I'm still unsure how I can determine the cause. How will I know if it's ich, flukes or something else?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the article. I'm still unsure how I can determine the cause. How will I know if it's ich, flukes or something else?
You are going to have to make some informed guesses I think. We can help, but will need better images. You should try getting a short video and posting that. It is sometimes easier to get video than to get a clear photograph.

Just looking at that shot from the side, I'd say the fish has ich. I pointed you to that article though because tangs can also produce mucus plugs that are not serious, and that could be it. Flukes generally do not create actual spots on fish, but they sometimes do, so I can't rule that out.

Jay

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to have to make some informed guesses I think. We can help, but will need better images. You should try getting a short video and posting that. It is sometimes easier to get video than to get a clear photograph.

Just looking at that shot from the side, I'd say the fish has ich. I pointed you to that article though because tangs can also produce mucus plugs that are not serious, and that could be it. Flukes generally do not create actual spots on fish, but they sometimes do, so I can't rule that out.

Jay
I'll see if I can get some better shots or a video.
The spots are almost impossible to see when looking at it from the side.
Anything special to look for that will confirm / rule out one or the other parasite?

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should try getting a short video and posting that. It is sometimes easier to get video than to get a clear photograph.
I'm sure a video wouldn't show anything.
I got a few pictures, but hard with a moving fish, and an old aquarium with scratches, a bit of algae etc.
Unless the fish catches the light just right I can hardly see the spots at all.
20210227_182006.jpg

(greenish spot is algae on the glass)

20210227_181943.jpg

I don't think these pictures can confirm/unconfirm anything.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see if I can get some better shots or a video.
The spots are almost impossible to see when looking at it from the side.
Anything special to look for that will confirm / rule out one or the other parasite?
Visual disease diagnosis is so difficult, there often isn’t any way to tell what’s going on. The next level up would require a skin scrape and a microscope.
Jay

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visual disease diagnosis is so difficult, there often isn’t any way to tell what’s going on. The next level up would require a skin scrape and a microscope.
Jay
True. Could be anything. Scratches, bacteria, parasite, stress etc.
I doubt I can catch it, as there are some caves deep down in the tank, and rockwork is big and solid, so removing will require almost totally emptying the tank.

Since any type of medication will take weeks to get (except some 5% praziquentel and levimasole) I'll watch it closely for the next few days and see if more spots develop or other signs show up.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the fish isn’t showing the signs of ick I would observe it to me it looks more mucus. As you may know ick will be clearly observable from any angle. Flukes on the other hand I could see being observed this way because the fluke is translucent and the color of the fish shows thru the fluke making it extremely hard to see with a naked eye however if you were to turn the fish and view it as your pic does from the rear it maybe possible to see the translucent fluke as the light shines thru it although I’ve never heard anyone state this as possible I to have nerved heard the possibility it could not be seen that way. Catching the fish is hard but a fw dip would determine for sure if it where flukes. So bottom line if that was my fish I would look for flashing scratching heavy rapid breathing change in eating swing into a power head or current breathing at the surface and obviously if the Symptoms worsen.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the fish isn’t showing the signs of ick I would observe it to me it looks more mucus. As you may know ick will be clearly observable from any angle. Flukes on the other hand I could see being observed this way because the fluke is translucent and the color of the fish shows thru the fluke making it extremely hard to see with a naked eye however if you were to turn the fish and view it as your pic does from the rear it maybe possible to see the translucent fluke as the light shines thru it although I’ve never heard anyone state this as possible I to have nerved heard the possibility it could not be seen that way. Catching the fish is hard but a fw dip would determine for sure if it where flukes. So bottom line if that was my fish I would look for flashing scratching heavy rapid breathing change in eating swing into a power head or current breathing at the surface and obviously if the Symptoms worsen.
If it is 'just' mucus, wouldn't that cause scratching also? What determines 'flashing'? It does take some quick moves but seems it depends on what other fish does.
For now, I don't see signs of heavy breathing.
It swims around the bottom half, along with a kole tang, picking the rocks and sand.
Eats anything I feed, mysis, brine, pellets, nori etc.
Normal behavior is difficult to say for a first timer. I just don't want to see things that aren't there.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is 'just' mucus, wouldn't that cause scratching also? What determines 'flashing'? It does take some quick moves but seems it depends on what other fish does.
For now, I don't see signs of heavy breathing.
It swims around the bottom half, along with a kole tang, picking the rocks and sand.
Eats anything I feed, mysis, brine, pellets, nori etc.
Normal behavior is difficult to say for a first timer. I just don't want to see things that aren't there.
Ok the best way to describe flashing hmmm! The the fish swims normal and then darts away like something scared it and continues with this behavior it’s a very common sign for osmotic shock or something on the fish that is irritating it it flashes away from it. Slime coat itself I do think the fish will scratch at unless there is something causing the fish irritation and it’s scratching because of the irritation.
from what I gather from your description the fish is fine eating swimming normal so for the time being just observe and learn. This maybe a normal thing for this fish

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the best way to describe flashing hmmm! The the fish swims normal and then darts away like something scared it and continues with this behavior it’s a very common sign for osmotic shock or something on the fish that is irritating it it flashes away from it. Slime coat itself I do think the fish will scratch at unless there is something causing the fish irritation and it’s scratching because of the irritation.
from what I gather from your description the fish is fine eating swimming normal so for the time being just observe and learn. This maybe a normal thing for this fish
Thanks. Haven't seen flashing/darting unless something scares it. My kole tang is still shy and timid, and swims away when I get to close to the tank. Sometimes it seems it doesn't notice me until I'm real close and he quickly hides, which sometimes causes the purple tang to follow.

Slime coat itself I do think the fish will scratch at unless there is something causing the fish irritation
Should it be "I do NOT think the fish will scratch, unless..."?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back