Light fixture T5HO question

Alex_GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello People, i have a question that maybe you could help me with, I have this FOWLR (not a single coral) I used two led cheap lamps and one of them black out, anyway I am thinking in use a two bulbs T5HO lamp, I found that the hydroponic T5HO (for indoor plant grow) are cheap, they come with 6500k bulbs, anyway what happened if I buy one of them and exchange the bulbs for marine T5HO? I don’t need all the features the Reef Lamps come with since is a FOWLR not a Reef and I don’t want to pay for them.

So what do you think about buy the hydroponic lamps and exchange the bulbs? The 6500K bulbs will grow GHA or Cyano? I ask this because my PBT loves the GHA

Thanks a lot for the help

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello People, i have a question that maybe you could help me with, I have this FOWLR (not a single coral) I used two led cheap lamps and one of them black out, anyway I am thinking in use a two bulbs T5HO lamp, I found that the hydroponic T5HO (for indoor plant grow) are cheap, they come with 6500k bulbs, anyway what happened if I buy one of them and exchange the bulbs for marine T5HO? I don’t need all the features the Reef Lamps come with since is a FOWLR not a Reef and I don’t want to pay for them.

So what do you think about buy the hydroponic lamps and exchange the bulbs? The 6500K bulbs will grow GHA or Cyano? I ask this because my PBT loves the GHA

Thanks a lot for the help

The biggest issue with daylight balanced bulbs is they make marine fish look pretty dull. No bright blues or yellow. Thats superficial of course. Fish dont care. The 6500k bulbs do have a bit more PAR than than regular reef bulbs and hence will be better algae growers.

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a 6500k bulb in a reef setup, it's not uncommon for someone to run one in a 6 or 8 bulb array. They are pretty good at growing algae in my experience if you have too many of them so running both might be excessive but you can always experiment. If you don't like the 6500k bulbs buy some bluer ones like Coral Plus and swap them out.

OP
OP
Alex_GT

Alex_GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks a lot that was exactly my question if i can swap them i guess i will try the bulbs that come with and if the GHA goes out of control i will swap them, my PBT loves to eat it but i dont want the GHA to go out of control

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I buy horticultural fixtures as well and usually chuck the bulbs and replace with ATI bulbs

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back