Light fixture width over an aquarium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm working on the details for the dimming T5 fixtures and the housing is pushing the fixture width out a little more than normal. Does everyone consider the fixture width when placing over a particular size aquarium?

Lets say a 48" aquarium with a 50" fixture, would that be accepted? This would be a suspended fixture.

Just looking for input.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, a 50" fixture for 48" aquarium is fine as long as there the bulbs are centered within that 50 inches. The fixture still has to be symmetrical.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a new born and prepping to build a canopy around my current aquatic life hybrid to block the light, I could see an issue. Otherwise, prior to the baby I wouldn't have had an issue.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a new born and prepping to build a canopy around my current aquatic life hybrid to block the light, I could see an issue. Otherwise, prior to the baby I wouldn't have had an issue.

My understanding is that the fixture would still only use 48" bulbs, just would be slightly wider due to the drivers. So the light "Spread" would be the same. There are no 50" bulbs.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that the fixture would still only use 48" bulbs, just would be slightly wider due to the drivers. So the light "Spread" would be the same. There are no 50" bulbs.

That is my understanding too, but I'm not concerned with "spread" of light. Having a canopy sit on a tank that is 48" long and a light over it that is 50" would make a trapezoid shaped canopy. Your inside dimensions will be 48 at the tank and 50 at the light. Not a look i'm going for.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my understanding too, but I'm not concerned with "spread" of light. Having a canopy sit on a tank that is 48" long and a light over it that is 50" would make a trapezoid shaped canopy. Your inside dimensions will be 48 at the tank and 50 at the light. Not a look i'm going for.

What if the light is thin, less than 2" tall and suspended, not resting on the aquarium?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if the light is thin, less than 2" tall and suspended, not resting on the aquarium?

I would still need to build my canopy up to the bottom of the light. Your canopy would have to stick out on the sides of your tank by 1" plus the thickness of your material. I suppose it's doable, but... not sure how pretty it would be. Hopefully I'm making sense... I work with numbers, not a great writer lol.

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input.

I see other T5 manufactured lighting slightly longer than the normal length tanks. I'm also see tanks slightly shorter than normal.
I would still need to build my canopy up to the bottom of the light. Your canopy would have to stick out on the sides of your tank by 1" plus the thickness of your material. I suppose it's doable, but... not sure how pretty it would be. Hopefully I'm making sense... I work with numbers, not a great writer lol.

Capture.PNG

For your setup I would use the black hybrid without the decorative covers, its right at 48" with the power cords.

The dimming unit is going for a sleek look with fancy aluminum extrusion. With needing to route the wires to the front and back of the fixture we need a wider side than what we currently have for the hybrids. So it's pushing the width out on me.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm good to go at home. Love your light, but had to void my warranty and change to one wire. I see a lot of people looking to do this. Maybe something to think about if possible and could save you some room.

Love the light thought!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back