Light for an 8" cube?

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after years of keeping planted freshwater nanos, I'm finally making the jump into saltwater. Seems alright, but I've set myself up for trouble (just how I like it). I'm planning on my first reef tank, much less first saltwater tank, being a 2.1 gallon cube (just under 8"). Since I've been doing mostly nano tanks in freshwater, I do have most of the stuff I think I need, but I'm stuck on what light to use for such a small tank. I was thinking I'd just be doing soft corals, nothing too picky or difficult.

I was looking at the Wavepoint 6" 8 Watt super blue + daylight clamp on light ( ), and I've had decent luck with Wavepoint lights in the past. Is this overkill? Are there better options?

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good , small like that will grow anything in that cube, and it’s from a reputable company.

Fair enough, but the price point is a definite turn off. I'm not trying to be completely cheap, but I can't justify that much on an individual purchase for such a small tank. If I had a tank more than 8" deep, was more personally integrated into the salty side of things, and had a bigger paycheck, that might be more reasonable, but for one this small and at this point in time... no.

As alternatives, I've also been looking at PAR38 bulbs and a few other complete fixture options, all those are falling into the $40-60 price range.

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, but the price point is a definite turn off. I'm not trying to be completely cheap, but I can't justify that much on an individual purchase for such a small tank. If I had a tank more than 8" deep, was more personally integrated into the salty side of things, and had a bigger paycheck, that might be more reasonable, but for one this small and at this point in time... no.

As alternatives, I've also been looking at PAR38 bulbs and a few other complete fixture options, all those are falling into the $40-60 price range.

If you go cheap you’ll end up buying it twice. The par38 bulbs WILL work, but won’t last as long as a $120 kessil like. You’ll end up buying the par38 again in the future, or buying a kessil, so I’d save the head ache and just buy the kessil. Nothing about the “salty” side of things is cheap, what you spend on coral will put weigh the price of the light, so why aren’t you willing to spend the money on keeping your corals alive?

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be blunt, I don't know I'll I'll be in the saltwater side of things for more than a year-year and half. I'll obviously give it some time to grow on me, but right now I don't see why there's so much hype. I can be wrong, as I was with planted tanks (now have nearly 10 years of keeping planted nano/picos) but for now, I'm starting with the basics that I might replace later.

That and I honestly don't have the kind of money to drop $150 on a single light fixture for a tiny tank, which right now is being lit perfectly well by an $11 cheapo light for freshwater plants. Which it is suddenly holding, along with unexpectedly small guppy fry. So I have time to be picky about these things.

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater is an expensive hobby. Be prepared to spend money regardless how small the tank is. A80 or a prime hd would be the best choice. Going into this thinking that you won't be in long or want to invest into success is going to 100% lead to failure and leaving the hobby. Resale on an a80 or a prime is fairly high if you end up leaving. In the end a wavepoint isn't a hot light with a good resale. You'll take a bath on it when trying to get any money back.

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resale on an a80 or a prime is fairly high if you end up leaving. In the end a wavepoint isn't a hot light with a good resale. You'll take a bath on it when trying to get any money back.

I already stated I was looking at a PAR38 bulb instead, which would give me more flexibility in terms of mounting. In addition I typically keep using things until they break down, so resale isn't something I'm worried about. Besides, even if I did go Wavepoint, after the LEDs die I can always rip them out and use the body for another project, haha

But seriously, I'm an experimental type of person. Don't tell me about something, I have to experience it for myself.

saan1wu4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you mean about not wanting to spend a lot when you're not sure if you want to commit yet.
I've heard some good things about the hipargero aqua knight 30w. A few youtubers have used it for "budget build" series. I haven't tried it but I think it's worth looking into.

Also, the point about reselling a kessil a80 or AI prime is a good one. You can definitely sell it for a really good price on here or with your local reef group :)

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look into ebay black box LED's or used equipment on craigslist. Saltwater is more expensive than fresh but that being said, lighting is one of the most costly parts of the setup.

A 2 gallon cube is also a very hard place to start as your first tank with saltwater. It's possible! but you'll have to watch your parameters like a hawk and that tank will not give you a second chance if you make a beginner mistake. Good luck and be patient!

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look into ebay black box LED's or used equipment on craigslist. Saltwater is more expensive than fresh but that being said, lighting is one of the most costly parts of the setup.

A 2 gallon cube is also a very hard place to start as your first tank with saltwater. It's possible! but you'll have to watch your parameters like a hawk and that tank will not give you a second chance if you make a beginner mistake. Good luck and be patient!

Ebay thus far hasn't yielded much return, but I appreciate the suggestion.

The funny thing is people say the same thing about tiny freshwater tanks being difficult and touchy.

My first tank was a 1.5 gallon betta tank that I loaded with so many plants, the fish could hardly swim (but loved it)

One of the most stable and predictable "tanks" I have currently is a 120ml bottle, lit by sunlight in a west-facing window that I pretty much never do water changes on anymore. Theoretically, shouldn't work, but over a year and a half later and the plants have grown so much since I added them that I can no longer remove them without destroying the bottle.

My longest running tank is a 7 gallon cube with thriving shrimp, plant, and fish populations, which I've had for 5+ years

The largest tank I've ever had is a 20 tall.

TDLR; I welcome the challenge of a small tank

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back