Light suggestion for Biocube?

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 32 gallon Biocube running the stock light. I am looking to remove the lid and go with a new light. I have been leaning towards the AI Prime HD16, but I know there are several other choices out there. I am hoping to stay under $300. Any other suggestions for a replacement light within that range that are any good?

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals will you be keeping and have you seen any lights in action to judge what you might like? Kessil, AI, Radion, Chinese BB and others have a distinct look and mounting options.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly softies and LPS. I would like something that could handle SPS as well to keep my options open. I have seen some videos of other lights but not in person. I would like an arm mount like the Prime has. Either rigid or gooseneck. I really like the Kessils, but a bit out of my price range.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 32 Biocube falls into the frustrating dimensions of lighting. The AI 16 HD would be pushed to it's limits due to shading and spread. To reach the bottom it will have to be cranked up, which will be a lot of PAR at the top. You'll have to be creative in how you place your corals. Alternatively, the AI 32 Hydra is a bit overkill, but would have less shadowing and wouldn't need to be cranked up that high to have adequate PAR at the bottom. The Kessil 360x and Radion's have the same issues and are more expensive than the AI's.

1. You risk buying used; no warranties, may not like the look, or it would work out very good. It's a bit of a gamble.
2. You buy what you can afford now. You will likely have to upgrade later which will be a double purchase (e.g. a waste of money).
3. You go budget option like the Chinese black box. A host of drawbacks would be having to figure out how to mount it, the warranty will be iffy, you may not like the look, to get maximum performance it will have to be mounted really high which will spill light into your room, limited to no programing options, but again it could work out perfectly if you don't mind the drawbacks.
4. You wait and save up for something that will be adequate, reliable and could follow you to a bigger tank down the road.

Scp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stock lights are fine if they’re LED trust me....Corals won’t pop as much but I think they’re as good if not better than an AI 16 HD. I have five bio cubes..... including the 32. Stock led lights are fine but if you wanted to upgrade I’d suggest a Hydra 32 or 26 or kessil 360 . If you’re just going to the 16 I wouldn’t waste my time or money. I have a cube with a hydra 16 on it and it does OK but I think it’s under powered.

Scp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stock lights are fine if they’re LED trust me....Corals won’t pop as much but I think they’re as good if not better than an AI 16 HD. I have five bio cubes..... including the 32. Stock led lights are fine but if you wanted to upgrade I’d suggest a Hydra 32 or 26 or kessil 360 . If you’re just going to the 16 I wouldn’t waste my time or money. I have a cube with a hydra 16 on it and it does OK but I think it’s under powered.
It also depends on what you plan to grow. I have a hydra 26 HD on one of mine and I can grow anything I’ve got acro’s you name it. Probably close to 100 Corals it’s loaded.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Prime HD!!! I cannot stress enough how amazing this light has been for me. If you’re looking to stay within your budget, these are a great choice. I bought 2 of them on criagslist including the arm mounts for $200.

The color spectrum is great and the intensity is really nice, I still get good par at the bottom of my tank without burning the corals at the top! I love these lights I really do, I’m running hydras on my other two tanks but I think I’m gonna convert them to AIs because the colors are much more vibrant.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info everyone! You’ve given me a lot to think about. Maybe I need to strongly consider spending a little more up front.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ai prime or 32

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back