Light upgrade for my 29Gal Reef Tank.

fergieman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gal tank with the following dimensions H- 18.5 inches L- 30 inches W- 12 inches. My light set up is Current orbit marine with 27 watts but I notice that my anemone is reaching up and though my corals ( some kenya trees, Hammer and some mushrooms) are somehow doing ok I would like to make them happier. I am thinking of getting the Kessil A360x but would like to hear your thoughts if 1 would be enough given my tank dimensions. most set up I see are in Nano tanks unless its multiple set up in larger tanks.

If you have a better product I would also be open to suggestions.

Thank you

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably be better to go with two fixtures for a 30” long tank for corals (helps with shadowing). Two a160s of you really like kessils. But I’m somewhat biased and really like my AI primes over my 20g (I have 2). Two would cover your tank adequately imo.

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30" Long tank is a little too long for a single point light like a Kessil, IMO. You might have to go with 2 single point lights (like the Kessil) to get good coverage and more even PAR. Another good option is the AI Prime, which I have 2 of over my Reefer 170 (only 24" Long).

I've seen people have really good results with the Amazon box lights like the Phlizon, maybe you could give it a try.

OP
OP
F

fergieman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably be better to go with two fixtures for a 30” long tank for corals (helps with shadowing). Two a160s of you really like kessils. But I’m somewhat biased and really like my AI primes over my 20g (I have 2). Two would cover your tank adequately imo.
Thank you. 2 AI primes is a good one I was looking at those too as well. Its way affordable than 1 of the A360x. I would like to invest in something that that I can expand later on if I decide to go with a bigger tank I would just add more and still be able to use my previous ones. Thanks

OP
OP
F

fergieman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30" Long tank is a little too long for a single point light like a Kessil, IMO. You might have to go with 2 single point lights (like the Kessil) to get good coverage and more even PAR. Another good option is the AI Prime, which I have 2 of over my Reefer 170 (only 24" Long).

I've seen people have really good results with the Amazon box lights like the Phlizon, maybe you could give it a try.
Looks like a good plan. both performance and budget wise. Expandable too. Thanks

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back