Lighting 24" cube (two Kessila360X vs. one A500X)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sounds good, I'm wondering what the reason behind one 500 being better than two 360's is? Just to learn more about lighting myself for future reference.
It is really going to depend on what you're planning to keep in the tank. A single 500x would cover the tank and provide enough light for pretty much anything, you would just need to adjust intensity or mounting height.

One 500 isn't necessarily "better" than two 360x's. The 500x is going to have more par and more punch to be able to get that par down to the bottom of a 24" tank. The two 360's will have a little less par at the bottom of the tank, but will have less shadows.

Personally, I would go with the 500x. I would also get the narrow reflector and mount the light as high as possible. You'd probably be looking at mounting it 24" or more over the tank. I like the look of keeping the top of tank as open as possible, plus the light will never be in the way when doing maintenance on the tank. You will get some shadows because it's a single light source, but shadows make things interesting and add a sense of depth to the tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sounds good, I'm wondering what the reason behind one 500 being better than two 360's is? Just to learn more about lighting myself for future reference.
Stronger light with newer tech more focused on SPS keeping. The 360 are kinda week, growth is very slow.

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 166 41.5%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 35 8.8%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 174 43.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.5%