Lighting 24" cube (two Kessila360X vs. one A500X)

Robo_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24" cube with 4T5's already installed, its a new tank nothing inside yet, I'm adding Kessils to this to make it work for SPS dominant.

Should I get two Kessil A360X or one A500X?

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your keeping the t5’s then do the one a500 but if you getting rid of the t5’s I think having the 2 light sources instead of just one will help reduce shadows. They also have that ap700 fixture that may be ideal for a 24” sps tank.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I'm wondering what the reason behind one 500 being better than two 360's is? Just to learn more about lighting myself for future reference.
It is really going to depend on what you're planning to keep in the tank. A single 500x would cover the tank and provide enough light for pretty much anything, you would just need to adjust intensity or mounting height.

One 500 isn't necessarily "better" than two 360x's. The 500x is going to have more par and more punch to be able to get that par down to the bottom of a 24" tank. The two 360's will have a little less par at the bottom of the tank, but will have less shadows.

Personally, I would go with the 500x. I would also get the narrow reflector and mount the light as high as possible. You'd probably be looking at mounting it 24" or more over the tank. I like the look of keeping the top of tank as open as possible, plus the light will never be in the way when doing maintenance on the tank. You will get some shadows because it's a single light source, but shadows make things interesting and add a sense of depth to the tank.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I'm wondering what the reason behind one 500 being better than two 360's is? Just to learn more about lighting myself for future reference.
Stronger light with newer tech more focused on SPS keeping. The 360 are kinda week, growth is very slow.

bwagner_vt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up going with? I’m setting up a 24” cube and debating on getting 1-2 360x’s. I have (6) 360x’s on my 180 gallon planned tank and (3) on my discus tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back