Lighting 4 foot tank, already have Current lights

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair of current marine led lights (48") for my 90 gallon 4 foot tank. They work okay. I don't have par levels but I can see where the algae grows. There are some spots that don't get enough light and it is mostly because the lights are resting on the glass top and I have to open it to feed the fish which pushes the light back from the front.

I'd like to get something nicer as I'm at the point where I'd like to try growing some SPS soon.

I think my ideal lights would be two Neptune Skys but they're expensive, even used. I'm also not sure if I want to replace my lights or just supplement them. I was thinking of getting one of those new Blade lights as a supplement light to go down the middle of the tank, but I couldn't decide what size. Would the 39" have enough spread to get to the edges? Grow or Glow?

Another factor is the tank is in my living room so if I mount the lights above the tank then I'd need to do something to control the lighting into the room. Lights resting on the top of the tank is not only frugal but also nice for reducing the spill over into the room.

I'm open to any suggestions. I'd like to spend less than $1k and I am willing to buy used.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 kessil 360. If more is needed supplement with some light bars. The lights you currently have are good for softies only.

OP
OP
Atherial

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 kessil 360. If more is needed supplement with some light bars. The lights you currently have are good for softies only.
How do you prevent light spillover into the room with small lights like that? Also Sun or Blue? I do run mostly white light right now.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ReefBars and ReefBar Pros from 21LEDUSA. The Current Equivalent to the PRO’s Were put in the trash long ago, Current Strips, only part of the LEDs work, shorted out from just the moisture. Was very disappointed in the Currents

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want minimal spill over use a bank of t5's.
I had a 6 bulb unit plus 2 addional t5's on my 4' 120.
These were only 4" off the surface.
This will grow anything you want.
I ran this setup from day 1 to around the 1 year mark then went to halides. You cam see the results in the build thread
20200528_052128.jpg

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you prevent light spillover into the room with small lights like that? Also Sun or Blue? I do run mostly white light right now.
I have the same lights over my in wall 90g in the living room. Mounted about 7 or 8" above the waterline and spill is minimal. Blue is for coral, sun is for algae.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to go pendant style, 2x of either kessil 360, radion xr15s, noopsych v3s. 3d printed shades can be found or made for any of those to prevent spillage. you can also build or buy a canopy for the lights.

strip lights: blade for supplemental and decide if you want to look at more daylight or blue light in the tank. reefbreeders are good too and would work as a primary light. I've seen amazing pictures of reefs under orphek lights. t5s are an old standby. again, against spillage, canopy.

OP
OP
Atherial

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to go pendant style, 2x of either kessil 360, radion xr15s, noopsych v3s. 3d printed shades can be found or made for any of those to prevent spillage. you can also build or buy a canopy for the lights.

strip lights: blade for supplemental and decide if you want to look at more daylight or blue light in the tank. reefbreeders are good too and would work as a primary light. I've seen amazing pictures of reefs under orphek lights. t5s are an old standby. again, against spillage, canopy.

I took a look at the reefbreeders light and it looks nice. I'm also looking at the reefi lights as they were recommended in another thread.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils over my 90g

Attachments

• 20230124_154103.mp4
    17.4 MB

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with my current lights. I have 2 36 inch orbits. I decided to supplement and got 2 xr15's. Mine are in a canopy though and so i cant speak to the spillover issues.
1429.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought a pair of current marine led lights (48") for my 90 gallon 4 foot tank. They work okay. I don't have par levels but I can see where the algae grows. There are some spots that don't get enough light and it is mostly because the lights are resting on the glass top and I have to open it to feed the fish which pushes the light back from the front.

I'd like to get something nicer as I'm at the point where I'd like to try growing some SPS soon.

I think my ideal lights would be two Neptune Skys but they're expensive, even used. I'm also not sure if I want to replace my lights or just supplement them. I was thinking of getting one of those new Blade lights as a supplement light to go down the middle of the tank, but I couldn't decide what size. Would the 39" have enough spread to get to the edges? Grow or Glow?

Another factor is the tank is in my living room so if I mount the lights above the tank then I'd need to do something to control the lighting into the room. Lights resting on the top of the tank is not only frugal but also nice for reducing the spill over into the room.

I'm open to any suggestions. I'd like to spend less than $1k and I am willing to buy used.
Im not a fan of Current USA lights . If this style is what you favor, consider 1 or 2 Orphek OR3 lights- (one sky Blue and One Blue Plus)
If youre ok with flourescents, you can utilize a hybrid fixture OR a pair of Ai Hydra 26 or 32hd

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back