Lighting a 60x30x16 tank on a budget

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy of mine is selling his old tank and I'm thinking about getting it. My only issue is lighting the tank. It's a shallow 125. 60x30x16. I would have mostly softies in the tank.

Is there a good budget way to do this? Will a couple of SB Reef Lights have enough spread? Or will I need two rows of lights for 30 inches?
3425a073b4b1960f3872bda44906437d.jpg
9a1c740418182c50e6c95fa97e7d04b6.jpg

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does he have now?
I would get 2 rows because of the width

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just go t5 myself a six bulb t5 is cheap and could grow whatever you want.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not utilize the T5s it comes with? could aways add a couple SB reefs to make a "hybrid"
They don't have individual reflectors.

I'm currently running a 36 inch 6 bulb t5 with SB sbars hybrid like your talking about. I would just need to get longer units I guess.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who cares if they don't have individual reflectors for a softie tank? They will be fine. I would just use them and save your coin for other stuff or for a upgrade if you want to get into higher light stuff.

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who cares if they don't have individual reflectors for a softie tank? They will be fine. I would just use them and save your coin for other stuff or for a upgrade if you want to get into higher light stuff.
yup this, I just scored a cheap retrofit kit without reflectors. I'm honestly just going to build a hanging canopy for my frag tank and line it with reflector tape. put in leds down the center and t5 on either side. leds will do the heavy lifting t5s to fill in spectrum and even out the lighting

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the stock lenses in the 16” , the SBreeflight covers about a 20x 13 area from about 12in and gives you 650 par or so at full blast.

So imo, use that to figure the geometry at the top of the tank and figure you may get more spread by hanging them higher. (I like to cover as much of the dimension of top of the tank for best coverage)

You can increase the spread spread by pulling the lenses and get closer to 22 x 15 but expect a 30-40% loss in par. And no, pulling the lens on an Sb doesn’t effect the two year warranty.

IMO , the best for you would be 4 30in models. The cheap would be 2 30in models at 15in.

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use some Chinese black boxes and the t5s if you’re super tight budget wise? They grow coral great. However, you’ll have to sacrifice customization options/premium features like weather effects and peak/spike schedules. However, most come with a “blue” channel (usually combo of UV, Violet, Royal Blue, and Blue) and a “white” channel (usually consists of cool white, green, red, and in some brands, warm white). You can get pretty creative if you ramp/time the channels at different times. You can also modify them a lot, however, I’m not the person to ask for that.

Hope this helps! SB Reef Lights and Reef Brite are great too!

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the stock lenses in the 16” , the SBreeflight covers about a 20x 13 area from about 12in and gives you 650 par or so at full blast.

So imo, use that to figure the geometry at the top of the tank and figure you may get more spread by hanging them higher. (I like to cover as much of the dimension of top of the tank for best coverage)

You can increase the spread spread by pulling the lenses and get closer to 22 x 15 but expect a 30-40% loss in par. And no, pulling the lens on an Sb doesn’t effect the two year warranty.

IMO , the best for you would be 4 30in models. The cheap would be 2 30in models at 15in.
I really like this idea of pulling the lenses. I wouldn't need the full power for what I want to keep anyways. Should make color blending even better too, right?

I just need to save up a bit more for the tank now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back