Lighting experiment......

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I started this yesterday and plan on seeing what effects if any positive or negative it will have on the corals and macro....Hopefully great for the corals and bad for the macro......Here it is....

I will start randomly turning off my halides 2 days a week and just leaving on the actinics for the whole day. A buddy of mine a few years ago would randomly keep his lights of 1 day a week to simulate cloudy or stormy days. While I never did find out what the out come was cause I bought his 125 cause he had to move. I figured this weekend I would try some something similar but without the no lights part. Yesterday I acclimated some frags I had gotten in the mail and left the actinics on and shut down the halides figuring that would ease the acclimation as these frag came from PC type lighting. I figured this was a good time to start......I will try and take pictures if I notice any effects but I have been real lazy on the picture tanking lately so I don't know how that part will go.....

Any ideas about it out there? You guys/gals can chime in also.....

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We shall see.....I have not idea of what effects I might see so the slate is clean for both positive and bad. The good thing is I can correct it as easy as I started, so it's not like adding a chemical or additive that needs to be removed asap.....

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some luck reducing lighting but the best results were from reducing lighting and using AZ-NO3 together.... I had hair algae on every piece of rock in my tank..... now it is almost hair free with just a few isolated patches

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK after about halfway on the second day I discontinued this experiment....The zoas didn't seem to like it much and remained closed up and shrunk most of the day. I turned on the MH and after about an hour they all opened back up and looked like normal......Instead I might try the darkness method instead of the actinic method.....Will report how that goes.

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool deal, I have done this also in the past more random than anything and never kept note Can't wait to see the out come? Will you have a "stock" for the experiment ie. some that stay regulare photo period to compair the other 2?

Sound great! BTW

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naw just my one tank......I started the actinic way but they did not like that after the second random day. So next week I will start the no-light method and see what happens.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.....I know I droped the ball on that....I will get them to you....I apologize for that....

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shhh! Don't tell anybody!!! :sweeps under rug:

LOL, I still love you...

:hugs:
Laurie

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back