Lighting for 10-15g QT/hospital tank

needlehandssoftfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi what are some good choices for small tank that I'd QT coral frags in as well as fish? I have a 15 as main and 10 as backup if I need to use it as a 'hospital'. I imagine I still need top shelf light if QTing an sps?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have a decent light to quarantine any coral that you would like to keep. If you want to keep Acropora then you will need a decent light to keep them healthy while in QT

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like stated above, QT fish and corals in separate tanks. If you treat with a fish with copper and then put coral/inverts in that same tank later, there could be residual copper that will harm them. Fish can be under any light, does not need to be anything fancy. Personally, I'd go with a small T5 for a coral QT.

kierstin1993

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to agree, it’s best to have separate tanks for this. However if for whatever reason you can’t set up separate tanks, don’t add any fish medication to the tank with coral. Be mindful that if a fish has a disease it can lay dormant in the tank (on rock, sand or even frag plugs) and this would extend the time you’d need to QT the coral as to not spread the infection into your main tank.
As far as the lighting goes, I really like the AI prime. You could also try a T5 fixture with a ATI coral plus or ATI blue antic bulb. I switched from AI prime to 4 T5 bulbs when I got my 125g and my coral began to flourish.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told it'd be very hard to keep parameters stable for stony corals in a 10g but would I possibly be ready for that a year into the hobby while maintaining a 20g

Not while they are frags. It should be pretty easy. Just dose some coral food like reef energy and maybe consider something like all for reef if need be (or just do a small water change

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon will be fine for Corals. Drain some water out of the Ten Gallon. Take water out of your Display Tank, to replace the water. Add new saltwater to your Display. For a Filter, the Cheap HOB Tetra Whispers, are easy to take care of, have Bio-Foam, the Mechanical can be Rinsed, Bleached, Rinsed and reused many times. Salt Creep is at a minimum, with these filters. For Lights, I’d check Facebook Market Place and Craigslist for used.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should work for coral. Fish doesn't really matter.
Screenshot_20221008-091631_Chrome.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back