Lighting for a 120 mixed reef on a very tight budget? how many AI's for a 120 gallon mixed reef with nems?

brissey02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to finally upgrade from my fluval 3.0, and get something more worthwhile. I have a 120 gallon mixed reef with a bubble tip (will eventually be looking to buy more nems)

I have a 120 gallon tank (4x2x2) with a hood. Lighting will either have to be mounted to the top of the hood at 15" from the water's surface, or 4" from the water's surface.. still trying to come up with other ways that don't include a mounting arm.

I am on a tight budget however. $250 at the most.

what lighting system would you recommend? (and how many units of these systems?) if I am able to pull of a miracle and am able to do some trades for AI prime's, how many would I need?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some advice, nems like a mature system. I would wait the better part of a year before getting one.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mature live rock yes but I’ve kept nems in brand new tanks, mainly nano cubes. Fed mine with weekly shrimp and bi weekly water changes for years. Had to get rid of them, they can out grow small tanks fast

Attachments

• 7FAC0163-B707-4E87-9650-E27427653431.jpeg
    7FAC0163-B707-4E87-9650-E27427653431.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 37

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to finally upgrade from my fluval 3.0, and get something more worthwhile. I have a 120 gallon mixed reef with a bubble tip (will eventually be looking to buy more nems)

I have a 120 gallon tank (4x2x2) with a hood. Lighting will either have to be mounted to the top of the hood at 15" from the water's surface, or 4" from the water's surface.. still trying to come up with other ways that don't include a mounting arm.

what lighting system would you recommend? (and how many units of these systems?) if I am able to pull of a miracle and am able to do some trades for AI prime's, how many would I need?
This is two Visparspectra......But they need to be hung from ceiling
Also try two Hypereef 150, these can be attached by arm.
All grow corals well, but no ramping or special effects.
95B73019-250A-4148-8514-5C2B2E719F37.jpeg

OP
OP
brissey02

brissey02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some advice, nems like a mature system. I would wait the better part of a year before getting one.
we just started with the one bubble tip. won't be getting another for several months. This one we've had for a couple weeks and its already doubled in size.

we definitely didn't take buying a new lightly. It was a very careful consideration with numerous talks with my local fish store, who's notorious for refusing sales on tanks that don't meet the criteria in which they believe something will do well in. tank has been monitored closely by them since it was 2 weeks old, and they're still closely monitoring. if I have any problems with it, he'll be going back to spend some time in their tanks until I get it under control. :)

OP
OP
brissey02

brissey02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is two Visparspectra......But they need to be hung from ceiling
Also try two Hypereef 150, these can be attached by arm.
All grow corals well, but no ramping or special effects.
95B73019-250A-4148-8514-5C2B2E719F37.jpeg
how high up would you recommend mounting the vipaspectras?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are 14” above water surface.
As high as you can until light spills out.
Higher mounting helps mix the spectrum in this light configuration and reduces hot spotting.

Do not underestimate the intensity of this light,

I do everything with this light, nems, maxima clams, acros.

I might start blue at 50% and white at 1%.

In a month, if everyone is happy, blue up 10%.

Even after 4 years and blue at 90%, I kept my white at 1% as I love the colour pop.

Last edited:

kutcha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we just started with the one bubble tip. won't be getting another for several months. This one we've had for a couple weeks and its already doubled in size.

we definitely didn't take buying a new lightly. It was a very careful consideration with numerous talks with my local fish store, who's notorious for refusing sales on tanks that don't meet the criteria in which they believe something will do well in. tank has been monitored closely by them since it was 2 weeks old, and they're still closely monitoring. if I have any problems with it, he'll be going back to spend some time in their tanks until I get it under control. :)
I think your missing what they are saying, by new tank we are talking about new rock that has not aged and doesn't have the biodiversity of a more "aged" rock. Now if your tank was started with live rock this would not be of any concern because the tank itself doesn't hold the bacteria and biodiversity it is the rock and sand. If it was brand new white dry rock used in this tank you will have to keep a very close eye on the nem as they hate new tanks because there isn't a large biodiversity and they can be looking great for a few weeks to a few months then what seems like out of nowhere just die. Also keep a eye on it doubling in size that fast because it could just be hyper expanding to try to compensate with more light absorption for what isn't in the water column for it to consume.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ATI Sunpower to cover the whole system.

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check you BRS on YouTube they have suggestions for how many ai primes you would need with spectrum settings, height off the water, spacing between them and par readings.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Suggest super cheap but good LEDS and T5s
On my nano I am using 3 bars of t5 and 50$ LED bar and it works. Probably can grow SPS if I turn the LEDs up

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.5%
Back