Lighting for a 22 Gallon Long Nano Reef Tank

Nargard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a 22 long nano build that (hopefully) will be capable of supporting soft corals, LPS, and eventaully SPS. I am really struggling to find the right fit for lighting. Ideally I'd love to find LED strips that would provide adequate PAR as this would fit my tank shape. I'm concerned if I go with a Kessil or equivalent I would have a ton of spill over which won't really work in my living room.

I've been looking at

Current USA Orbit Marine IC PRO LED 4336 Dual Light Fixture with LOOP Bluetooth Control - 36 - 48 Inch​

In my 12" deep tank the PAR range would be from 700 at the surface to ~200 at 9" of depth. Would this be sufficient?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Orbit-PAR-Measurements-1.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 77

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So 700 par is basically going to roast anything you put there. I think generally “high par” is anything over 200 so at 9” + 2” of sand, the bottom of the tank will be considered high par which some LPS and softies might not like.
What is your light budget?

OP
OP
Nargard

Nargard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 700 par is basically going to roast anything you put there. I think generally “high par” is anything over 200 so at 9” + 2” of sand, the bottom of the tank will be considered high par which some LPS and softies might not like.
What is your light budget?
Yeah. the 700 was just to show the range from the surface of the water to the surface of the sand at the bottom of the tank. And I think those numbers are when the light is maxed out before I make adjustments that look good to my eye. So the actual numbers may be a bit lower after adjustment. My concern includes the aesthetics of the room and spill over. The LED strips would look better overall but I want to make sure they will produce enough light to reach my goal.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back