Lighting for SPS/Mixed reef in the Fluval Evo 13.5G

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I am taking the leap into keeping SPS in my Fluval Evo. I know I will need to upgrade the lighting to keep them happy and looking good, so I was looking for some suggestions on lighting.
I currently have a Fluval Marine 3.0 over the tank which looks fine but from what I can obtain from searching it doesn't quite have the PAR ability of some other lights and probably won't be the best for me long term.

I had been looking at the AI Prime 16HD - Looks like it could work to have SPS at the top of the tank and LPS/softies towards the bottom of the tank. Downsides seem to be lights melting or malfunctioning within a short period of time.

Noopsyche Mini was another option - Cost is obviously better than the AI prime. From the PAR testing I have seen so far it seems to be pretty powerful. Downsides - may not have as good a spectrum as the AI prime. Newer light so longevity is unknown. Also seems to be delayed for delivery at the moment and I am looking at switching out the light soon.

There are probably lights I am missing that would be suitable for this tank.
Anyone have suggestions or experience with keeping a mixed reef or growing SPS in a nano similar to the Evo?

IMG_2958 2.JPG

OP
OP
Elise_

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an IM NUVO 14 and took AI Prime PAR measurements under the following setting:
RY-40%
B-40%
CW-25%
6B968DA8-DCC0-4DBB-9FF5-2A84A3F3FB7F.jpeg
Thank you so much that is super helpful! Looks like the AI prime would be definitely powerful enough for what I need if I go a little higher on the settings and keep the SPS towards the top of the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back