Lighting ideas for new Ritteri/Gigantea tank

Humongous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting a new tank for my ritteri's and giganteas. They are not new to me, they have just outgrown the current tank(s). I'm keeping them under Orphek Atlantik's, a 250W radium, and Reefbreeder Photons. I haven't had any issues having them thrive except one incident when switching from Halide to LED for my largest yellow gigantea. It didn't like LED's for a good month and moved straight to the bottom of the tank during the switch. The new tank is 36"x36"x27", starfire cube. It will hold one Ritteri( about 20") that's under a radium, and three giganteas( one yellow/green, one dark blue, and one powder blue) that are under Orphek Atlantiks. I need to choose a lighting solution but it's hard due to the fact that they all work. One benefit to the halide is it will help heat the tank since my house rarely gets above 72 degree and the heaters run all the time.
IMG_3482.jpg

This is one ritteri and one gig in a temporary holding system under a 400W Hamilton 10K bulb. I really like the color the 6.5 and 10K bulbs bring out in the carpets.

IMG_3511.jpg

This is my 60 cube where I've grown these three since they were about 3" diameter under Orpheks. It's definitely more blue.

So I'd like to know what everyone else is keeping theirs under. I'm not wanting to start a Halide vs. LED debate, rather I'm curious what others are running and if you know the PAR they sit under. I have six giganteas and 3 ritteris, so the answer to the question is yes, I have an addiction.

Thanks all!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my gigs and mags under both Kessil A350x and Radions, and they were both fine. Both were set at 100% (I don't know par values) on my 60 gallon 48x24x12 flat. I switched from Radions to the Kessils because I wanted more shimmer.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have those particular led brands but also run mine at 10p% for both channels. They really like white light in the 6500k - 10,000k spectrum.

Your tank is amazing with so much room to grow. I love the variety of fish and can only aspire to one day have that dream tank.

Just curious if you still have long term success keeping so many mature cinnamon clowns. Any advice around that?

OP
OP
H

Humongous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have those particular led brands but also run mine at 10p% for both channels. They really like white light in the 6500k - 10,000k spectrum.

Your tank is amazing with so much room to grow. I love the variety of fish and can only aspire to one day have that dream tank.

Just curious if you still have long term success keeping so many mature cinnamon clowns. Any advice around that?
I'll try and post a video of the main tank where the cinnamon clowns are. It's a 1000g reef where they have plenty of room. I originally had four cinnamons that I rescued from Petco for $5 each and they all lived peacefully together until I placed the first anemone. Overnight they paired up and became aggressive.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use LED heat sinks I made about a decade ago. Reefledlights.com they put out maybe 2-400 at the bottom of a 210 that is 29” deep. I also supplement with typical 5k daylight led flood lights from the home center with clamp on sockets hanging above my water maybe 6”. The 5k really brings out the yellow. I almost never feed food, I only have one tang and I never feed anything. With both led spots 5k and home made heat sink fixture, par ranges between 600 and 1800 depending on locations at same depth, approx 18” deep water.

Attachments

• EE4B4841-9FF5-4D88-8A1F-1B5A8600ECB1.jpeg
    EE4B4841-9FF5-4D88-8A1F-1B5A8600ECB1.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 102

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer. If you put the amount of light I put on my gigs, onto your sps, I’m pretty sure you’ll fry your sps. Gigs can handle a CRAZY amount of par, the more, the happier. Few years ago, I had a few in a 75 gallon and par measured as high as 2200 all over the disks. Nice thing about led spots, aim it away from your sps.

OP, awesome tank!

OP
OP
H

Humongous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer. If you put the amount of light I put on my gigs, onto your sps, I’m pretty sure you’ll fry your sps. Gigs can handle a CRAZY amount of par, the more, the happier. Few years ago, I had a few in a 75 gallon and par measured as high as 2200 all over the disks. Nice thing about led spots, aim it away from your sps.

OP, awesome tank!
The new tank will only house the anemones so I’ll be able to throw in more light than my reef tank. The big gig in my reef is staying right there, I don’t even want to think about moving it!

Do you remember what LED floods you were using?

Thanks for the tank compliment!

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taylor always has my favourite gig tank. He only needs the red one now. Lol

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reefi LED unos, par ~400-600

Attachments

• 500262DB-2211-42E5-88E3-FFA23348E7A3.jpeg
    500262DB-2211-42E5-88E3-FFA23348E7A3.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 99

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my ELOS200XL I use 400w Giesemann fixtures for my Mags, in my Red Sea I’m currently using a VolxJapan GrasyCore Reef for my three S. Haddoni’s, although I wish I could find a halide spotlight that works for it.

I do really like the form factor and power of the Reefi uno, but it’s too blue for my liking (and for my clams).

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two ritteri started under two ai 52hd, when I swapped to a larger tank I temporarily added a Kessel and 4 t5s I’ll be swapping that unit out for 2 ai 32hds in addition to the two 52s shortly. If I could get my hands on a couple luminarcs 250 SEs I’d swap to that.

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the units at roughly 10-12k (120W per unit) for 6 hours of the 11 hour photoperiod, abs they seem to be liking it. I am getting another one, so that I can have two in the middle blasting the Nems on one program and two at the ends for the sps on another program.

the programs will be the same during the hours I’m home, but the two in the middle will have a whiter hue than the two outside when I’m at work.

OP
OP
H

Humongous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm finally getting back to this thread after months of planning and delays the newer cube is up and running. I ended up going to with two Orphek panels, full size and they look really good over the tank, They run the exact same program as the 60 Cube with my other carpets and magnificent.

Here's the catch............the nems really don't like it compared to 400w halide they lived under for the last year. I'll try and post some pictures soon but I'm really thinking about going back to a 10K halide. I've grown gigantea and ritteri under both halide and LED for the past 10 years. I've never seen them rebel like this before. I think they are really missing more of the daylight spectrum, Orpheks tend to be a bit on the blue side. Maybe I'll add a 6500k led light to supplement back the daylight. I'd use a flood bulb but I don't think my wife would go for the look of the bulb hanging out in space.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm finally getting back to this thread after months of planning and delays the newer cube is up and running. I ended up going to with two Orphek panels, full size and they look really good over the tank, They run the exact same program as the 60 Cube with my other carpets and magnificent.

Here's the catch............the nems really don't like it compared to 400w halide they lived under for the last year. I'll try and post some pictures soon but I'm really thinking about going back to a 10K halide. I've grown gigantea and ritteri under both halide and LED for the past 10 years. I've never seen them rebel like this before. I think they are really missing more of the daylight spectrum, Orpheks tend to be a bit on the blue side. Maybe I'll add a 6500k led light to supplement back the daylight. I'd use a flood bulb but I don't think my wife would go for the look of the bulb hanging out in space.
Exactly why I run my radions on a 12k spectrum..over my gigs...all channels 100% 100pct intensity... It's a white look , and they seem to love it...

ctran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have almost the same tank dimensions 36x36x24, and i am keeping 3 gigs. They are all under a ATI PowerModule Hybrid.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ritteri's aways found their way as high up as they could to get as close as possible to my 400w radium halides. And that spot just happened to get blasted by my return on a sea swirl with an eductor on it. So literally blast them with as much light and flow as you can and they will LOVE it. Remember they usually are found it shallow tidal regions in the wild.

OP
OP
H

Humongous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lowered the intensity of the LEDS and they are adjusting well. I adjusted the spectrum to more of a 10K look which I prefer anyway for carpets and mags. I'm 100% on three channels and 40% on the blue channel for now. It's been my experience time after time when switching from Halide to LED that carpets don't like the sudden change in light source. If I were to guess it's because LED always appear dimmer to me, while halides are bright. My biggest yellow gig is over 24" now and I've had it for 7 years. It lived under a 6700k 400w halide for years. When I had to switch to reefbreeder photons for the tank it moved off its rock home of 5 years to the bottom of the tank. In both cases the par meter proved the LED output was a lot higher to achieve the same look to my eyes.. No halide/LED bashing at all just my experience.

Hope everyone can benefit from threads like this because believe me I've searched and searched for a dedicated light intensity and spectrum thread for carpets/mags.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back