Lighting Spectrum for Red Dragon's Tongue (Galaxaura marginata)?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I ended with some of these unexpectedly. Anyways, Any specific suggestions for spectrums to best grow these?

I have an AI Prime. Tried to look up answers, but only found 'high light'. XD Lelz.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I ended with some of these unexpectedly. Anyways, Any specific suggestions for spectrums to best grow these?

I have an AI Prime. Tried to look up answers, but only found 'high light'. XD Lelz.
Full spectrum lighting. @Tigahboy can tell you exactly what that means, for type of light or possible setup of your AI to mimic it.

Mine is under a metal halide with a 10k bulb lol.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full spectrum lighting. @Tigahboy can tell you exactly what that means, for type of light or possible setup of your AI to mimic it.

Thank you! I'll wait for @Tigahboy to chime in. :D

Yeah I was thinking just have all spectrums at 100% or something, but figured to ask just in case it can nonetheless be optimized. XD

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'll wait for @Tigahboy to chime in. :D

Yeah I was thinking just have all spectrums at 100% or something, but figured to ask just in case it can nonetheless be optimized. XD
I've never kept that specific macroalgae and unfortunately have never owned an AI Prime so don't know how the settings work, but full spectrum would be ~6500K (and I keep all my macroalgae under this spectrum). Having said that, I think they can do well under a range of lighting, and assuming you are keeping coral that prefer more blue spectrum, you'll probably have to balance those competing demands (whether in phases or meeting in the middle in terms of spectrum maybe). If you see the red color dulling out, it could mean the lighting intensity is too high and should try to lower it or move it further down away from the light.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never kept that specific macroalgae and unfortunately have never owned an AI Prime so don't know how the settings work, but full spectrum would be ~6500K (and I keep all my macroalgae under this spectrum). Having said that, I think they can do well under a range of lighting, and assuming you are keeping coral that prefer more blue spectrum, you'll probably have to balance those competing demands (whether in phases or meeting in the middle in terms of spectrum maybe). If you see the red color dulling out, it could mean the lighting intensity is too high and should try to lower it or move it further down away from the light.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like I may start out lower and ramp up the intensity then. It will actually be a 100% macroalgae tank, so no issues changing the spectra as needed.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! Sounds like I may start out lower and ramp up the intensity then. It will actually be a 100% macroalgae tank, so no issues changing the spectra as needed.
Not sure if it has any "practical" application but a general idea of the absorption spectrum of red,brown, and green algae.
Absorption-spectrum-for-three-Arctic-occurring-macroalgae-representing-the-three-separate.jpg

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it has any "practical" application but a general idea of the absorption spectrum of red,brown, and green algae.
Absorption-spectrum-for-three-Arctic-occurring-macroalgae-representing-the-three-separate.jpg
Cool, thanks. I might be able to figure something out something from that as well perhaps.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Starter low and raising intensity i think is always smart, but i will say i keep some in one of my frag tanks and over time moved it to right where i keep the sps. Around 400-500 par and it does great. Not saying it needs that much to live, but that where mine thriving bests.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks. I might be able to figure something out something from that as well perhaps.
This was interesting..

redalgae2.JPG

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quick followup..
Feed it blue green to orange light.. ;)
Can't use blue well
redalgae3.JPG

A guess as to why most use high light which is probably heavy blue w/ little green/blue green especially w/ LED's unless using a lot of the white diodes which again is normally unlikely.

If you have "mixed" macro algae seems a "plan" would be to run all channels full with global dimming.
Don't know your exact AI Prime but assume salt water version?
Just run whites and green full. Rest is up to you I guess as to what "color" you want.
Red??
Not seeing any reason not to run it at 100% w/ no corals in there.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could you please post a picture of your Galaxaura?
What halide fixture, bulb and ballast are you using?
Any other algae in the system?

sepulvd85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some in my 30g using AI prime running pirates of caribbean

Attachments

• 16212084859756098609654542632156.jpg
    16212084859756098609654542632156.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 23

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back