Lighting to grow zoas

BMonko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater aquariums and am deciding on what lighting will work. I would like to just grow some zoas and gsp in my aquarium plus a few fish. My aquarium is 30”long 15.75” deep and 15” wide and was looking to possibly get a current USA Orbit Marine LED Reef Aquarium Light. Would this light be able to grow what I’d like to grow since my aquarium isn’t too deep?

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater aquariums and am deciding on what lighting will work. I would like to just grow some zoas and gsp in my aquarium plus a few fish. My aquarium is 30”long 15.75” deep and 15” wide and was looking to possibly get a current USA Orbit Marine LED Reef Aquarium Light. Would this light be able to grow what I’d like to grow since my aquarium isn’t too deep?
hi, i use a current marine led on my tank with similar measurements. you could grow zoas based on my experience. my tank is ~4 inches shallower, and the zoas do great towards the bottom, so hopefully that helps you place yours.

OP
OP
B

BMonko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, i use a current marine led on my tank with similar measurements. you could grow zoas based on my experience. my tank is ~4 inches shallower, and the zoas do great towards the bottom, so hopefully that helps you place yours.
Thanks! Yeah this helps me feel more confident in getting it because all the reviews I read said that the light doesn’t work well with deeper tanks but since my tank is shallower I thought it might work but wasn’t sure since I’m new to saltwater tanks.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah this helps me feel more confident in getting it because all the reviews I read said that the light doesn’t work well with deeper tanks but since my tank is shallower I thought it might work but wasn’t sure since I’m new to saltwater tanks.
I would start by placing the zoas near the bottom-middle portion of the tank. Here's a helpful par chart for the Orbit fixtures that may help you out. For reference, zoas typically do well above 75 par. If your zoas appear to be stretching up, move them higher up. If they seem to retract or lose their colors, move them lower down. If they're open and growing, keep them as-is. Some shaded parts of a colony will naturally recede and stretch over time. I would start with the cheapest zoas you can get your hands on (you shouldn't be paying more than $10-$15 for a cheap frag) and test them out.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back