Lighting upgrades

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Redrider001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to R2R, and wanted to finally get onboard. I have been running Vipars for over 1.5yrs. Over all no issues with tank just looking to upgrade lighting. I am looking at either these K7 lights or reef breeders photon. Tank is an120gallon 4x2x2. Any input into which lighting solution and why would be awesome. Thanks all for your time I am looking forward to this community.

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to R2R, and wanted to finally get onboard. I have been running Vipars for over 1.5yrs. Over all no issues with tank just looking to upgrade lighting. I am looking at either these K7 lights or reef breeders photon. Tank is an120gallon 4x2x2. Any input into which lighting solution and why would be awesome. Thanks all for your time I am looking forward to this community.
First of all Welcome to Reef2Reef :)

You have a nice size tank and either of these lights will work well.
Some questions I would like to ask
What type of coral do you plan on keeping?
Do you have a hood?

OP
OP
R

Redrider001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have various Montis, acans, Welso, Scoly,a clam, and a couple of no name acros plus various mushrooms and softies. Manose I read through your entire thread. To date how are the lights holding up and how are the corals growing?

OP
OP
R

Redrider001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no hood I currently am hanging from the ceiling but would like to use those included brackets.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the photon V2 and love it. I'm going to be adding some T5 supplemental but that is just to achieve more growth since my photon is undersized for my tank. Mixed reef has been growing great with this light.

OP
OP
R

Redrider001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the photon V2 and love it. I'm going to be adding some T5 supplemental but that is just to achieve more growth since my photon is undersized for my tank. Mixed reef has been growing great with this light.
Do you find the controller easy to use any major issues with them.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easy enough to use. It takes a little time as you have to manually change each of the six channels for each hour, but once it is set up, it is very easy to adjust. There are also preset settings, however I don't like any of them. Overall the light itself is very sleek looking over a tank with no hood. The coverage is great as the LEDs are spread out evenly and you can set it up to any color spectrum you like.

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have various Montis, acans, Welso, Scoly,a clam, and a couple of no name acros plus various mushrooms and softies. Manose I read through your entire thread. To date how are the lights holding up and how are the corals growing?
Here is the latest video and my stuff is doing amazing. The Noopsyche K7 is the best light on the market for the price period.

OP
OP
R

Redrider001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the latest video and my stuff is doing amazing. The Noopsyche K7 is the best light on the market for the price period.

This is the tank you started about a year ago correct? Do you have any growth pictures? As far as the lighting is it just the K7s or does it have T5 as well. Thanks for all the info.

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tank you started about a year ago correct? Do you have any growth pictures? As far as the lighting is it just the K7s or does it have T5 as well. Thanks for all the info.
This is the tank I started a year ago and this is with the K7 and the Noopsyche t5hybrid. I will post my growth:
Tank 4 months ago-no t5

Tank 3 months ago-no t5

Tank in July after adding more coral- no t5

Tank 2 months ago after adding t5 with led

Tank now

OP
OP
R

Redrider001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tank I started a year ago and this is with the K7 and the Noopsyche t5hybrid. I will post my growth:
Tank 4 months ago-no t5

Tank 3 months ago-no t5

Tank in July after adding more coral- no t5

Tank 2 months ago after adding t5 with led

Tank now

So I guess in a nutshell everything looks good. I have my sps and clam to be concerned with. I wasn’t planning on a T5 retrofit so In your opinion these lights should grow everything nicely with or without supplement lighting

OP
OP
R

Redrider001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have good settings for these lights? How are the presets for growth/coloration?

OP
OP
R

Redrider001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the lights are on the tank everything is responding well! The programming is extremely easy. Thanks everyone on the recommendation.

C29EED4D-8F25-4822-A026-70B9CA92A2C8.jpeg

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the lights are on the tank everything is responding well! The programming is extremely easy. Thanks everyone on the recommendation.

C29EED4D-8F25-4822-A026-70B9CA92A2C8.jpeg
Thank you for your update. Follow

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back